A Million Lifetimes

Ace opened the door, giving you his wide and beautiful smile. He wasn't so nervous anymore, and neither were you. It felt comfortable being around him. You noticed his father, Thatch and Vista. Marco was still at school.

— Good evening, lass. — Newgate said, smiling. He was sitting talking to his friends. — We're buying some pizza tonight, so I hope you're staying for dinner.

You nodded, smiling at the older man.

— Yes, thank you, Mr. Newgate.

You followed Ace towards his room, waiting for Luffy and Sabo to come back from the mall. They said something about buying a new videogame. You sat on his bed, removing your shoes, making yourself at home. While Ace was turning the TV on and finding something to watch, you looked around the room. There was pictures of him and his brothers when they were kids, pictures of him with Newgate, and a recent picture of the four of you together. You smiled looking at them, and when Ace looked at you, he couldn't help smiling too.

He wanted to confess so bad, to let his feelings out, to be able to give you love. But would you ever feel the same? He grew up thinking he didn't deserve to be loved, he grew up thinking people would leave him just like his father did when he was a child. Newgate, or "pops", as they called, adopted him and treated him like his son, and his brothers loved him too. But his mind couldn't help making him assume he didn't deserve all this love.

But still, you were his safe place, you were the person who make him feel so at peace. It felt like everything got better after he met you. Life felt happier, and he could even sleep better. Ignoring those thoughts, Ace sat next to you, trying to focus on whatever was on TV. He was still curious about one thing, though...

— Sabo told me you were talking to Hawkins. — he said, pretending he just wanted to start a simple conversation.

— Yes, I wanted to have an insight about my nightmares. — you shrugged.

— Oh, the nightmares. I remember you mentioning something about it a few times. Are you having them again? — you shook your head as a negative response.

— No, but I wanted to talk to him anyway. I wanted some advices, and he said something that... Got me confused.

Should you tell him about it? He wouldn't judge you, would he?

— What did he say? — the guy raised an eyebrow. You and Hawkins never even spoke before, how could the blonde get you confused anyway?

— Promise me you won't judge me or think I'm weird? — you raised your pinky finger.

He locked your fingers with his, giggling at the childish gesture. However, he took pinky promises very seriously.

— I promise.

You stared at him for a few seconds, before taking a deep breath.

— Well, he said my nightmares are about... A past life, like it was something that actually happened. But... It isn't what got me confused, though. But what he said after that. — Ace was looking at you seriously. He never gave it a thought, but he wasn't skeptical. He was very open minded and curious. You took it as a sign to continue. — He said something about soulmates.

— Soulmates? — he asked.

— Yes. First he acted all mysterious, with riddles and all, saying I knew what he was talking about. He said I met my soulmate, and that our story had ended before in another life. And the reason why we met, is because we have the opportunity to finish this story.