Missions and Lucky Charms

Whitebeard sent you on a mission alone, something you got used to after a few times. At first of course, you were terrified, wondering if you were strong enough, if you could defeat an enemy or avoid getting caught by the marines. Even the crew got worried, but pops trusted you. He knew you were strong. And he was right, because you came back.

Even if you were hurt sometimes, you always came back alive.

ꟷ She went on a mission alone? ꟷ Ace asked, shocked. He went on a mission himself, and didn't even see you leave. ꟷ But, but what if she gets hurt? Is she too far from us? If anything happens, can we go find her?

ꟷ Don't worry. ꟷ Marco smiled at the boy's concern, it was obvious it was more than just a friend getting worried. ꟷ She's a strong one, you should know that by now. We trained her well, and she has been going on missions by herself for a long time. (Y/N) will be fine, trust me.

The blonde's words weren't enough to calm him down, and he got worried for days until you called them via den den mushi. At least he knew you were well and alive. That's all he needed to be a little at peace.

When you came back, he was the first person to greet you, while playfully scolding you for leaving without telling him or even calling to say goodbye.

ꟷ I heard you missed me. ꟷ you giggled. ꟷ Were you worried?

ꟷ Maybe. ꟷ he crossed his arms and looked away, like a little embarrassed kid. ꟷ You're wearing my bracelet, I thought something would happen and I'd never see it again.

You rolled his eyes and lightly punched his arm. You knew that wasn't the reason why he was worried though, and that's because you also missed him during your time away. Sleeping without the long chats at night, eating by yourself... It felt weird, even though this is what you always did before you met Ace.

Looking back, it felt like your world was black and white until the day you met him, but then, you were able to see how colorful life really was. Every day before you two met looked dull. As if both of your souls kept trying to find each other for a long time.

ꟷ Here, your bracelet. ꟷ you handed him the piece of jewelry.

ꟷ No... ꟷ he whispered, still not looking, trying to hide his red cheeks. ꟷ It looks good on you.

Anything was an excuse for a feast. So when you came back, Newgate threw a party with a lot of beer, food and music to celebrate the fact you were finally back.

Later that night, when you were socializing with the other members of the crew, Thatch took the opportunity to approach Ace almost the same way he approached you before. Probably trying to play the wingman for some reason.

The raven-haired boy was sitting further, looking at you talking to everyone. He unintentionally smiled; seeing you laughing and having fun filled his heart with joy

ꟷ She sure is something, uh? ꟷ Thatch smiled looking at the same direction. ꟷ So cheerful and happy all the time, no wonder you seemed to miss her while she was away.

ꟷ What? ꟷ the man blushed. ꟷ Oh, yes, she's nice, she's fun. ꟷ his gaze didn't leave your figure the whole time. ꟷ Well, I should go get something to drink...

ꟷ It's funny how both of you react the same way when I bring this subject up. ꟷ your friend insisted, laughing at Ace's reaction and at the memory of you getting flustered the other day.

ꟷ What do you mean? ꟷ he looked at the other man with a puzzled look on his face.

ꟷ You know what I mean. Blushing, looking away, pretending you don't know what I'm talking about, changing the subject. (Y/N) reacted the same way when I talked about you once.

ꟷ She... She talks about me? ꟷ he whispered, more asking himself, wondering if this was a good sign. He couldn't help smiling at the thought of this. ꟷ What did she say?

Thatch was about to tell him to just go ask you himself, but when they saw you approaching them, the two quickly changed the subject while Ace was trying to act as if nothing had happened. They smiled, greeting you, who was holding two mugs of beer. One for you, one for your little crush.

ꟷ Sorry I took long. I drank all your beer while I was talking to pops. But I brought you more. ꟷ you handed one of the mugs. ꟷ Hi, Thatch! So, what were you two talking about? ꟷ you took a sip of your own drink.

The two men looked at each other, probably trying to find something to reply.

ꟷ Nothing. ꟷ they said at the same time, making you raise an eyebrow.

Not suspicious at all.

Thatch left, sitting with Vista, Marco and Izo, who were drinking and playing cards. You never understood how to play, but you used to sit next to them, watching and laughing whenever one of them got angry.

You sat on the floor and Ace did the same. It was your usual spot every night, facing the ocean.

ꟷ I don't know what the subject was, but you two suck as lying. ꟷ you laughed. ꟷ And by the way...

You placed your mug next to you and took one of your bracelets off.

ꟷ Since you gave me your lucky bracelet, I figured I should give you one of mine too. ꟷ you handed it to him. ꟷ A civilian gave me by the end of my first mission, they're homemade and they're supposed to be a luck charm. Well, I didn't die, so I figure it works. You're always doing crazy stuff and falling asleep in the most dangerous places, so I want you to have it. ꟷ you smiled.

He held it, smiling at the jewelry. It meant a lot to him, not just because it brings "good luck", but because it was yours, and because it meant you cared about him as his safety. At least, whenever you two were away, he could feel like you were closer.

ꟷ Thank you. It means a lot. I'll never take it off, ever.