Marineford

You spent the next few days focusing on recovering. You didn't want to be sick, you wanted to fight. Marco helped giving some medicines and forcing you to rest.

You knew very well that you needed to sleep, but you had nightmares most of the time, and the anguish didn't leave your side. You looked at the lucky charm he gave you, and sighed.

— I promise we'll get you back, fire boy. — you whispered to yourself. — Please, hang on tight.

Now you were on your way to Marineford. Pops argued, but he knew he couldn't stop you from going to the war. You felt slightly better anyway. Not great, but you could handle a fight.

The Moby Dick and two other ships were coated, so you were underwater, coming from where the marines least expected it. When the three ships emerged, less than three hours before Ace's execution, you looked back and spotted many subordinated crews too, 43 total. But seeing all the marines, admirals and the shichibukais made you uneasy. You've never seen something like that before.

Izo put a hand on your shoulder, reassuring you with a smile. He gave you a determined look.

— We got this. Don't worry. — he whispered. — And stay next to us, you're still sick, so if anything happens, we can help you. Ok?

You nodded.

Izo was quiet compared to the others, and he has a calm nature, but he was still one of the most important people in your life. He was the one who trained you. While you don't know how to use swords nor has an akuma no mi power, you became an amazing sniper. Not as good as him yet, but almost.

When you squinted your eyes, you saw Ace kneeling on the execution platform. Your heart clenched and you felt sick. Seeing him there made everything feel real. He was actually there, and things were about to get serious.

You didn't care how many enemies you had to kill at that moment, you didn't care about all the danger and risks you were taking. You would get him back no matter what.

Many things after that were a blur. You remember attacking so many marines, you remember the screaming, the blood, Ace screaming for you to back off. The next thing you remember, it was the moment you snapped back to reality. It was when a boy fell from the sky with some other people. It was the most unusual thing you've seen during that war.

When you took a better look, you recognized him from the poster. The wanted poster that Ace proudly showed you. That was Monkey D. Luffy, his younger brother. He spent a few minutes talking to your captain. Apparently, he informed Newgate about the marines saying they'd execute Ace earlier than the planned.

The younger brother did everything to go save Ace, while the rest of you helped. Jinbe, Ivankov, Boa Hancock, the rest of the Whitebeard allies and Buggy. Seemed like it wouldn't take long for the war to be over. It felt like the happy ending was so close, until the pacifistas attacked the other crews.

Another coward move from the admirals. Of course they wouldn't attack the crew, they would attack the subordinate crews, a strategy to make it look like Whitebeard made a deal with the marines. That, and Akainu spreading rumors and lies in order to make things turn against pops. It worked at first, since Squard, from the Maelstrom Spider pirates believed everything, and blind by the rage stabbed Newgate.