Welcome to Mystery Island

Start from the beginning

It was Julie who broke the silence.

"Hey, Liam do you still have the map which you found on the boat?", she asked.

"Yup, hold on", Liam replied. He then ran back to the place where he was sleeping and pulled out a piece of paper inside a polythene pouch carefully from under the leaf. He took out the map from the pouch and opened it in order to read it. The others watched him in silence as they watched Liam turn the map upside, down, and sideways. It looked like he was trying to understand the map but couldn't. The others looked at each other in confusion. Liam was always good at stuff like this. What was wrong with him now?

"Hey, Liam !", Billy yelled. "What's going on bro? Did you understand where we are?"

Liam turned towards them and gave them a worried glace and urged them to come closer to him. Billy, Sam, Jane, and Julie went closer to Liam to have a look at the map.

"What's wrong bro?" asked Billy.

"The Map! That's what is wrong!", Liam replied desperately.

"Calm down Liam, tell us what you have found", said Julie calmly.

"Yeah, Liam tell us, we are already screwed, how much worst can it get?", said Jane.

"Is it an illegal island? or a deserted one or a volcanic one? what?", asked Sam.

"I DON'T KNOW! THIS FREAKING ISLAND IS NOT EVEN ON THE MAP!", Liam yelled out loud.

There was pin-drop silence everywhere. No one spoke anything. All of them were too shocked to speak. The wind blew lightly making their hair dance in it. Somewhere in the far end, they were some unknown bird was making a racket.

"What the hell did you say?", screamed Sam breaking the silence.

"This island isn't supposed to exist!", Liam replied boldly.

"That can't be right, cause we are FUCKING STANDING ON IT!", Jane screamed.

"I DON'T KNOW!" Liam screamed back.

"Guys, please stop!", Julie raised her hands in order to stop Liam and Jane stop fighting.

"Show us the map, Liam", said Billy.

Liam handed the map to Billy. Still glaring at Jane for questioning his credentials. 

Billy spread open the map on the soft sand so that everyone could see. They all bent down to see. The map of the California coastline and the ocean surrounding it. The blue and abiding ocean was dotted with small islands. The sidelines of the map were marked with latitudes and longitudes and the distance on one side. But the most surprising thing was that almost all of the islands were over by 200 km and beyond that just lay was the vast Pacific Ocean. The five teenagers looked at each other worriedly. If the device on the boat was correct then they were already past 200km. 

"That's weird", exclaimed Julie.

"Tell me about it", Liam said and sighed.

"Well, the device must be broken then!", said Jane.

"I don't think so, because it was wrong, we might have landed on any of these islands surrounding the California coast, and most of them are tourist attractions so there would be people and definitely not abandoned like this and if we're to be an illegal island, or restricted island, I know for a fact that they are heavily guarded and monitored 24/7 so someone or the other would have come to get us", explained Liam.

"Well this island has to be there, perhaps this map is old and not updated, right?", said Sam. "I mean, come on, it's not like the movie Journey to the Mysterious Island, that an island pops up suddenly!" 

 "Sam's right', commented Billy.

"Well this map says republished in 2019, it's recent", Liam exclaimed and hung his head.

"How is this possible? How could the satellites have missed?", questioned Jane. 

"Well that's the question isn't it?", said Liam.

Sam turned over to see, Julie in deep thought. She nudged her slightly to break her trance. "What's the matter, Julie, you thinking something?"

"Yeah, care to share Julie", said Jane rolling her eyes.

Julie looked up and looked at everyone, dead in their eyes, and said, "I think there's much more to this island that people really know."

In fact, Julie was right. The teenagers have stepped on the Mystery Island. The adventure is about to begin.

'Welcome to the Mystery Island'