Moving Forest

And like that, both of them walked in different directions, hoping to find a way back into civilization. But something was off...

  The guard kept walking forward, hoping to find somewhere sheltered so he could rest, since a city would be too far away at this point and his palisman was already drifting to sleep on his shoulder. He remembered what the blue-haired witch told his palisman, You'll get a little tired for the next couple of hours, so rest! It'll help! He wasn't so sure why they would help him, considering that just this morning he was trying to arrest them and almost killed them. They even had the chance to get rid of him when they talked to the monster at the mine.

  "How did they even talked to that beast? I thought that they only made potions..." He said to himself as he kept walking through the woods. "Maybe they shapeshifted and I didn't notice?..." Now that I stopped to think, they're a shapeshifter, but I didn't saw them shift the entire day, even when we were fighting.

  And they even told me that Rascal told them about my 'story', what does that even mean? How much of my personal life has this moron told them? He glared at the bird on his shoulder, he was already sleeping. "I'll have a serious chat with you when we get to the Emperor's coven." He said to the bird, knowing that he wasn't listening.

  After a while walking, kinda lost in his thoughts, he was surprised to see that the witch that he let go of was in front of him. They both stared at each other for some seconds, equally confused by the situation. "What are you doing here?" He asked, coldly.

  "I... I don't know, I walked in the opposite direction from you-" They stopped and shoot a glare at the guard. "A-Are you... Following me?" They asked, hesitantly and with a bit of fear.

  "What? No. Why would I follow you?" He asked incredulously. 

  "Well, you were trying to arrest me. Did you change your mind about letting me go?" Bruno gave some steps back.

  "No, I didn't. And even if I did, I wouldn't follow you without any weapons available and appear in front of you." He crossed his arms as he was stating the obvious.

  Bruno frown at the soldier's statement, they knew it made sense but they didn't fully trust him. "Okay... Then I'll just walk in the opposite direction again..." They said as they did so.

  The guard also kept walking. That was... weird.

  After a while of walking and various encounters with Bruno that ended up on both of them taking different directions - he was already considering arresting them -, he started to notice some things. There's always a boulder on the right side of his path, and the trees look quite familiar. He stopped and tried to examine his surroundings. It was quiet, there were no bird sounds or any other forest sounds, he could only hear the wind. He also noticed that the sky was starting to get more orange, signifying that the sun was almost setting. He was getting worried.

  Once more he was brought back from his thoughts by a noise, a loud thud coming from a little forward from where he was, he walked towards the sound source, carefully, It could be another beast. When he got to a safe distance and peaked from behind a tree, he found out it was only Bruno. The boy was sat on the floor, without their cloak and potions bag. They were with one hand keeping their upper body up and the other on the back of their head.

  "Ow, ow..." They complained. Seems like they have fallen from a tree. The guard got out of his hiding spot and made his way towards the shifter.

  "Oi, you forgot to turn into a squirrel when you decided to climb the tree?" He said, mockingly.

  Bruno almost had the 7th heart attack today, They weren't expecting to see the guard again, at least not so soon. They also processed what he said, and they were not happy with it. They didn't like when people made fun of their abilities.