39

Iseul found herself looking at her phone more often than she usually would. She should be focusing on the emergency meeting called by one of her bosses. Although she wasn't a regular employee, her presence was highly required. 

"I am sad to say we'll be closing in a month. I need to return to the countryside to take care of my mother full time. The medical bill is too much and I can't afford to keep this business running. I hope you all understand. I apologize for the sudden news." Her boss bowed deeply. There were a couple of gasps and worried chatter among the regular employees. 

"Is there anything we can help with? Financially or anything?" Iseul initiated. 

"I can't possibly ask a favor. I'm not that shameless." Her boss politely declined. 

"You trusted a lot of us, fresh graduates and undergrads with your business despite us not having much experience. We want to express our gratitude for trusting us and giving us the experience." One of the employees spoke. 

"How about we give a fourth of our last salary for medicine? It's not much, but it's all we can give. We can also have a fundraiser event too for those who can't afford to donate a part of their salary so they can contribute? " Iseul suggested. "Sian and I can take charge of the fundraiser. We'll communicate through the group chat once Sian and I finalized everything."

There was a chorus of agreement and excited chatter among the employees. Although it would be sad that they needed to part, they were determined to make the best of their last month together.

"Words can't express how grateful I am. All of you have my thanks."  

"You took really great care of us and had so much patience. Besides, whenever we needed help financially you were quick to provide. It's the least we can do." Sian assured. 

The meeting goes by quickly from there. It was just the basic monthly briefing, but it felt weird knowing it was the last. After an hour, the meeting ended. 

"Iseul, please stay." Her boss quietly requested. Everyone was almost out and she didn't know what was going on. It was at that moment Iseul's brain tried to find what she did wrong while working part time. She didn't do anything bad from what she knew. Was she too forceful with the suggestion earlier?

"Did I do something wrong?" Iseul tried to hide her nervousness which she failed miserably at.

"Goodness no. I just wanted to relay a message from a friend of mine. Even if the café is closing, I wanted to make sure my employees didn't have a hard time finding a new job. I know you're still an undergrad, so I suggested to a friend of mine to take you in at his family's accounting firm. He said he'll take you as an intern first, but I think you won't stay an intern with your bookkeeping license and diligence."

"Really? I'm not that great. You think highly of me. My brain only works when the deadline is near." Iseul panicked.

"But you have potential. Anyone with potential should be given the chance to grow. Plus, I heard you know this man. His name is Qian Kun."

Mai's father? 

"I know him. I have his card too, so I'll follow up once I decided." Iseul confirmed. It felt like a dream to gain work experience in a firm. She couldn't believe how fate played in her favor that it made her scared something bad would happen.

Her boss nodded with a proud smile. He extend a hand for a handshake she gladly returned. "Perfect. I don't want to pressure you. I hope the next time we meet, you're the best professional I'll ever meet."  

"Thank you. I can't guarantee I'll do a good job, but I won't disappoint you."