Am I An Accessory to Something?

Start from the beginning

"Ship has sailed, love. Accept your fate."

I scoffed. "It doesn't impact me."

"No?"

"No. I just think that Callie is delightful and should explore the vast variety of options before she, uh, settles."

"Yeah, okay, Lena."

"Hey, Lena!" Chance called out from behind me. I turned around to see that he'd broken off from the group, leaving Kaelin and Alex and running after us, panting, sand flying up around his ankles. We halted to wait for him to catch up.

"Chance. What's up?"

He pointed between Knight and I, still exhausted and holding his knees to catch his breath. "Can you explain what this thing is? Why did I have to Mission Impossible to spring some random guy from your bedroom."

"Oh, that," I said. "Knight is a fugitive of the law. They think he murdered seven people, but I have faith in him. He seems like a nice guy, right?"

Chance bolted upright and sprang backward. His hands were flailing slightly in the way he always did when stressed, his glasses slipping slightly down his nose. "What? Lena Katerina-Millicent Montez, tell me you're joking."

Knight grinned at me. "Tell me he's joking about your middle name."

I shoved him lightly.

"Don't shove a potential murderer!" Chance squawked. His hands were wheeling at impressive speeds now. It would've been a good weapon if Knight was, you know, vaguely threatening in any way whatsoever. "He will kill you."

"Oh, but I do so love living life on the edge," I said seriously. "Let me push the murderer, please, Mum."

I thought Chance would combust on the spot.

Knight shoved me back and addressed Chance. "Yes, she is very much joking."

Chance exhaled sharply, wiping his brow. His laugh was high. "Ha. I knew that."

I looked to Knight. "The fact that he believed me for a minute there makes me concerned for the way my friends perceive me. Like, do I give off the vibe that I'm an idiot."

Knight's hand came up to rest on my shoulder, halting our walk for a moment. He looked deeply into my eyes. "Yes."

I shoved him off me. "Oh, shut up."

Chance tapped me on my shoulder. "Um, hi? Explanation was pending. One that isn't going to give me a heart attack, please."

I sighed. "Yeah, okay. Knight is a classic riches to rags story. His parents kicked him out and he was homeless, so I smuggled him into my house and now he's living in my wardrobe, but my parents don't know." Knight nodded along with my story.

Chance laughed. "You can't get me a second time, Leens. Can you just tell me?"

Knight raised an eyebrow. "That's the real story."

"Get out of here."

"100% legit."

Chance looked between us, clocking the sincerity of our expressions and tones. There was still an extended moment before realization dawned, and gasped like a fish out of water, his arms flailing awkwardly. "Wha—?"

"Oh, don't worry," I added. "I do know him. Somewhat. He's a friend of a friend. You've heard of the Knight family, right? Son of my parent's business partners? Yeah, this is that kid."

"Why did I make you tell me this?" Chance squeaked. "You should've lied!"

"We did," I pointed out.