And With Scott, I Would Get Both

Lindsey’s plane is just landing when I get to the airport. I go to wait by her assigned baggage claim, wondering how she’ll react when she sees me. My anxiety climbs when I picture her being unhappy to be here and having to try to entertain her. I try to look at it optimistically, because of course I am still excited that this is really happening. I just hope I can deal with her moodiness. 

Eventually I see her walking towards me. She gives me an awkward smile, and when she approaches me, I give her a hug. She doesn’t hug back, but in her defense it was a really quick hug. Maybe she didn’t have time to process the hug was happening. Or maybe she just didn’t want to hug me back. Either one is very possible. I should’ve hugged a few seconds longer to gauge her mood.

We make small talk about the flight while we wait for her luggage to come onto the conveyor belt. I offer to grab her bag for her, but she insists. She rolls it to my car, hoists it into the trunk, then climbs into the front seat. I try to ask her some questions about what she wants to do to celebrate Christmas Eve and Christmas in the coming days, but she doesn’t give much of a response. She says whatever I want to do is good enough for her. For today, she says she’d just like to relax. 

When we get in, I direct Lindsey to a cleared out corner in my living room where she can put her bag. She showers and changes into some sweatpants and a baggy shirt. 

I want to ask her about the end of her semester at school, but I don’t want to overwhelm her. So instead I tell her she can turn whatever she wants on the tv while I prepare dinner. She flips to Family Feud, but mainly stays on her phone. I want to be annoying and yell out every single answer that pops into my brain, but I don’t. We can save annoying Mitch for when she’s more settled.

When dinner is ready, she comes and sits at the counter with me to eat. We eat only with the awkward sound of our chewing. I don’t want to overwhelm her with questions or conversation, but I also want her to feel comfortable and welcome here. So I want to show her I’m interested in spending time with her. 

I break the silence, “After dinner, do you want to watch a movie or show together? I’d offer you some alone time, but your room is the main living space so that would be difficult.”

She shrugs lightly. “Sure.”

I nod, outwardly expressing nothing. Inwardly, a big smile because I get to spend time with my Lindsey girl.

We each finish dinner, and I offer her some hot tea for the movie. She doesn’t want any, but I still do, so I make some. While I’m doing that, I ask her to open up a streaming app and start looking. I don’t have high hopes in her getting excited about any show or movie, but I hope we can find one we both enjoy.

I settle into a spot on the couch. We’re both slouched into the corners by each armrest. She hands me the remote. I ask her what kind of things she likes to watch, and she names a few shows I’ve never heard of or know very little about, so it doesn’t really help me know what kind of genre or plots she enjoys.

“Do you like reality tv?” I ask, getting to that category on the streaming app.

“It’s dumb but addicting.”

“And that’s what makes it GREAT!”

She laughs a little. “Just pick something. I don’t really care.”

Eventually I come across Queer Eye. I give her a look, and I’m sure she can tell that that’s what I want to watch. 

“Have you seen Queer Eye?” I ask.

She shakes her head. 

“Can we watch it?” I ask hopefully. “I’ve actually only seen a few episodes, but it’s soooo good. I think you’d like it.”