She's Alive, But the Friendship is Dying

I swear hospital hallways are endless. Finding Lindsey's room takes an eternity, and it's not even because I'm not used to how hospitals work. I've done the hospital walk far too many times. It never gets any quicker. But when I'm finally in her room, and I see her little sleeping face with her petite hand in her dad's two huge ones, I feel so relieved, walking for ten minutes doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Scott spots me and beckons me over by moving his head, so I tiptoe in further, trying not to wake the sleeping angel on the bed in front of me. She has a plastic tube under her nose to make sure she has fresh air and bandages on her arms. But most importantly, she's alive.

He waits a minute and then gently places her hand back on the bed to lead me out into the hallway. "Thank you for coming," he says softly.

"I needed to make sure she was okay."

"I wish I knew," he says, tears coming to his eyes. "Since she has asthma, they aren't sure if she can survive smoke inhalation. It's looking pretty good so far, though."

I nod sympathetically, shots of panic coursing through me. "She'll be okay, she's a tough little girl." When can I talk to her? I want her to feel safe.

"Mitch?" Scott continues, bringing me quickly out of my thoughts. "How do I tell her Christian's gone?"

I freeze. I am not the person to talk to about death. My mouth opens but no words come out, and he sighs. I think for a few seconds and then say, "I think you just have to tell her and be there for her. Sugar coating it or waiting won't work out well."

"I know, but I'm in shock myself. I... I just don't know what to do. She's mine now. I'm a single parent in charge of a young life and I really don't know what to do. Christian is the one who spent all the time with her. I was always at work and now I might have to leave for a little while to raise her. Assuming she's okay, that is."

"You're getting ahead of yourself," I warn calmly. "Lindsey loves you a lot, I'm sure of it. It'll just take some getting used to. You two can grieve together."

He nods a little and then looks around, probably trying not to cry. "I can't leave her tonight. I made reservations at a hotel because the police told me to, but I don't even have a toothbrush right now."

"Stay here tonight, get what sleep you can, and then see what you can come up with tomorrow. Nobody is going to expect quick decisions out of you, so you and I can problem solve in the morning, okay?"

"Okay, thank you." He looks back in at Lindsey, who is beginning to stir. I can almost see the moment his heartbeat perks up by the anxious expression on his face, and he hasn't stopped looking like he's going to cry since he found out Christian is gone. "Do I tell her now?"

"Wait until she asks, it won't be long," I suggest, even though I have no idea. We head back in there and wait until her heavy eyelids flutter open.

"Daddy?"

Scott picks up her hand as he sits down beside her. He begins speaking softly to her, telling her where she is and why, leaving Christian out of it for now. He's such a good father, I can't believe he's worried about raising her by himself, but then I realize I'm judging, so I scold myself and try just to watch instead. He kisses her forehead and my heart melts.

"We lost everything?" She sounds extremely tired still, little coughs escaping her throat.

Scott answers, "Yes, and I am so, so sorry."

"Even my stuffed animals? My dolls?" She sounds like she's the one who's been smoking for years with that raspy voice she has going on.

He nods and Lindsey tears up, too. This day is a trainwreck. I step forward and suggest she goes back to sleep. I tell Scott he may want to do the same, and that I'd stay but I feel like they could use some time alone, but the real reason is because I have shopping to do.