Chapter 19

When you're finally discharged from Seoul Hospital again, you find yourself almost being sandwiched between Yoongi and Taehyung in a taxi before profusely reminding the two of them that you were not sitting in the middle. They had spent the walk to the car bickering about your health and who would spend the rest of the day with you to make sure you didn't collapse, and you're not about to spend the duration of the ride hearing their snide remarks go in and out of your ears.

"Shut up, the both of you." You silence them, glowering in either of their directions. "Here's what's going to happen. Taehyung will stay with me."

Yoongi is about to protest, but you're quicker. "I'm not keeping you from another day of collaborating with RM. Go to work. You can come by after." Your brother lets out a breath of frustration but doesn't argue.

You think that's the last of their conversation as you all pile into the backseat of the taxi. Squished against each other, there's no room for comfort. Your legs are touching Taehyung's on the left side while Yoongi has tried to put a bit of space between him and your boss to no avail. Their thighs brush against each other's, and you swear you see a blush creep up Yoongi's neck.

Holy shit... He finds Taehyung attractive.

The corners of your lips tug into a sly grin as you watch your brother avoid glancing at Taehyung in his flustered state. Any teasing comments you want to say get lodged in your throat as Taehyung speaks up.

"Wait, did you just say your brother is working with RM?"

Yoongi's head snaps to face Taehyung despite how his cheeks deepen a stark crimson. He takes a quick glimpse at you, eyes narrowed in a glare. You were supposed to keep it a secret.

Having had experienced a head-splitting migraine and were unconscious for about ten hours, you cannot be blamed for letting it slip out. To make matters worse, you respond to Taehyung's questions with a resounding, "Yes."

"Y/n, what the fuck?" His expression becomes one of annoyance. "You weren't supposed to tell anyone. I wasn't even supposed to tell you!"

You roll your eyes at his exasperation. "I can't take back what I said. Besides, we can trust Taehyung."

"He's your boss, not your fucking bestie! For all we know, he has a big mouth and that's why Vante's is so popular. If word gets out, my reputation will go to shit."

Taehyung raises his hand, signaling for the both of you to pause so he can speak for himself. "All right, Lil Meow Meow, stop getting your whiskers in a twist. Vante's is well-known for its art, and its good-looking CEO, who just happens to also be famous for his abstract paintings, so don't assume you know me. The integrity of my business is sound. I don't need you, and I don't need RM."

Your boss' voice is soft yet firm, successfully silencing you as Taehyung had just fired an employee who tried to play dirty, and being accused of the same thing has his dark eyes laced in anger. Yoongi's are widened in shock.

Taehyung can easily slip into an intimidating aura. He's sweet and goofy one second, and then cold the next.

Yoongi remains taken aback until he fully processes what was said. His head tilts in realization. "What did you just call me?"

Just like that, Taehyung smiles, mouth pulled into a soft rectangle as he lifts a hand to ruffle Yoongi's hair. "You're cute and feisty, like a small cat," he coos.

Lil Meow Meow swats Taehyung's hand away. "Don't call me that." Your brother's face falls, attempting to look unbothered, but his reddened cheeks give him away. You shake your head, knowing that no matter what he says, he actually likes it.

It's similar to you with Jungkook. You tell yourself you don't see him that way, but you know better. You can't help the way you feel about him.

The atmosphere surrounding you dampens as you think of him. You want to see him and make sure he's okay. Then when that's all said and done, you'll be more cautious of how you are around him. Something's not right. Until you find what that is, you need to keep a distance from Jungkook, even if it tugs at your heart.

You look down at your lap, fiddling with your fingers for a moment before you gaze out the taxi window. Minutes later, the car comes to a stop in front of your apartment complex.

As Taehyung gets out after you, you peer inside to look at Yoongi. "I'll have dinner ready by the time you get back, okay? I'll see you later."

He shoots you a close-lipped grin before you close the door and watch the taxi drive away with him still in it.

You turn around, heading inside with Taehyung nipping at your heels. The ascent to your apartment is quiet. Neither one of you says a word, but it's a comfortable silence.

Once the elevator doors slide open, you freeze in your spot. There's someone pacing in front of it.

"Damn it, where is she?"

They stop once they sense your presence, stare immediately traveling up from off the floor to meet yours. Eyes the color of a swirling caramel pour over yours in worry.

"Y/n...," Jungkook trails off. There's something different about the way he says your name. You can't pinpoint what it is, but the texture is all wrong. He doesn't sound like himself.

He's about to wrap his arms around you only to stop short when he sees Taehyung standing directly behind you. Then he says something that stops you cold.

"T-tae?"

You glimpse from Jungkook to Taehyung.

They know each other?

a/n: i am so tired. one awards ends and then another one i am in starts the judging period so i've had no breaks until now. kind of regretting signing up to be a judge in multiple awards, but i've been introduced to good books so it's not all bad. still, i need some rest but i wanted to get this chapter published bc i don't want to keep you all waiting. it's been too long, and i miss writing. plus, no matter how tired i am, i can't wait to update this book. we're still a bit of ways away from a climax but all in due time. until then, i'm just going to keep throwing new information your way in hopes that you can start piecing things together or be more confused lol either way it's a job well done. trust me, it'll make more sense towards the end. anyway, i hope to go back to a somewhat normal update schedule. "for the hell of it" will be updated on thursday so keep an eye out. and if you haven't checked out my new book yet, you should ;)