Caroline wanted to give a smart remark but found herself too consumed by her surroundings. She hadn't been lying when she told him she had never been anywhere.

Klaus recognised the pure look of fascination in Caroline's eyes and couldn't help the smile that spread on his face.

A few minutes later the car came to a stop in front of a huge compound.

"Let me guess, this is your place?" Caroline asked.

"What gave it away?" Klaus asked.

"I don't know. Huge mansion with a huge 'M' above the entrance gates? I could be wrong but it seems like something your ego would enjoy." Caroline challenged.

Klaus chuckled and moved out of the car. Before Caroline could do so too, he was at her door. He opened it for her and held out his hand for her to take. Caroline just gave an annoyed huff and got out by herself.

"Come, love. Let's get inside." Klaus said as he put his hand on her lower back to guide her inside.

Once inside, Caroline couldn't hide her amazement. While his mansion in Mystic Falls had a modern flair, this certainly had a rustical one. She had to admit that she liked it. Not out loud, of course.

"I guess you want to freshen up before we have dinner?" Klaus asked.

"Are we going out?" Caroline asked with a hint of excitement. She had spent the last couple of days holed up in his Mystic Falls mansion after all. Going outside would be a welcome change.

"I have made a reservation for one of my favourite restaurants." Klaus explained.

"Joshua, show Caroline to her room." Klaus ordered.

Caroline's face lit up when she saw Josh woosh in the room. She didn't know he would be coming, too.

"Hey, Care." Josh said grinning.

"I'll expect you to be down here in an hour." Klaus dismissed them.

"I'm so happy you're here too!" Caroline told Josh.

"Yeah, me too. I've never been to NOLA before and it's exciting! But I'm quite confused about your mood." Josh said.

"Why?" Caroline asked.

"Well, you've spent the last 10 hours with Klaus. In a car. And neither of you seems to be annoyed at all." Josh shrugged.

"Oh. It wasn't so bad, I guess. How about I tell you all the details tomorrow?" Caroline wanted to take everything in now.

Even if she had imagined her first trip away from Mystic Falls differently, she was happy. Everything about this was new and exciting. And she had a feeling that it would be easier to overcome her latest break-up. She was far away from home, in a completely different city. Everything, minus the company, was perfect to forget about her worries.

"Sure. This'll be your room." Josh explained as they stopped in front of a door. "Your luggage is already inside. I'll be back to escort you down in 50 minutes, okay?" Josh asked.

Caroline rolled her eyes and got inside the room. She knew it wasn't Josh's fault, but she hated having to be escorted by someone. She wasn't a defenseless little girl. Not anymore.