𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟑𝟑: 𝐣𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐭𝐫𝐮𝐬𝐭 𝐦𝐞

Start from the beginning

Carmen slightly scoffed. "Okay then."

Blake turned back around and noticed Julia watching them. Her small smile turned into a slight frown.

He didn't know what she was thinking, but he knew it must have been something about Jacob. He could tell the two of them have been through a lot together over the past weeks. He didn't even know how they related to each other, but he could tell Julia must have a very deep connection to him. Jacob, on the other hand, seemed to be slowly fading into a different type of attitude. Blake couldn't seem to blame him, though. All of this was beginning to get more exhausting than ever.

He desperately just wanted to go back home.

~~~

M. Bourne

It was bright and early on a Wednesday morning. The sky was clear, the sun was shining and Bourne walked into his agency feeling much better than he had at the beginning of the week.

Up the elevator and down the hall, he passed by his assistant's desk, picking up some of the folders she had laid out for him.

"Uh, Bourne," Darla kept her voice low as she put one of the desk phones back into their receiver, "I've tried to arrange that meeting with that boy-"

"Blake?"

She nodded. "No sign of him in New York state, sir. I'm trying to look into his contacts and see where he ended up. It could take a few days before an interview can be set up with him."

Bourne grabbed the few documents and slid them under his arm. "Alright, Darla. Keep me posted."

She nodded, sitting back down in her chair. "Of course, sir."

Bourne started walking down the hall when he noticed Vanessa's figure slipping into her own office. He wanted to catch her before they got down to real work.

"Vaughen," his words seemed to surprise her as she turned, somewhat alarmed. Her phone slid from her ear and to her side within seconds.

"Oh, I'm sorry, were you on a call?"

Vanessa smiled rather sheepishly. "Uh, it was nobody, sir. Nothing important, I mean."

Bourne's eyebrows furrowed at her stammering. "Everything alright, Vanessa?"

Vanessa tugged on her suit jacket and cleared her throat. "Yes, sir, all is good. Are those the documents you wanted me to look at?"

Bourne reached for the papers and pulled them out to show her. "Let's go into my office and talk about this, I don't know if Matthew will be joining us yet."

They walked down further to his door. Vanessa entered, merely distracted by whatever is going on in her device.

Bourne put the papers on his already cluttered desk, trying not to get overwhelmed by the assignments piling up.

"Vanessa, I need you to-"

"Hmm?" She looked up at him from typing on her phone.

Bourne glanced at her then shifted his attention to the task at hand. "I need you to start looking into the missing children cases filed under these states, all of them in the Rochester area, actually."

"Uh... sure thing."

Bourne's eyebrows furrowed. "You do realize why I'm making you do this, right?"

"To help with the case," although her words sounded more like a question than a statement, Bourne handed the yellow folder over.

"We think Warner caught more people than he should have, see if any of these match up with your story in South Carolina."

"Of course, boss," she took the folder and was about to head out when a ding ran on her phone.

She gave Bourne the same sheepish smile and headed out quickly.

As Bourne's suspicions started to raise, he decided to distract himself with the heap of papers on his desk.

Everything will be okay, he kept reminding himself. No matter what, in the end, God is in control.

He tried to remind himself of that whenever some awful feeling started to tell him other things.

A/N

so... juicier things are coming. idk maybe this chapter is boring BUT we need it.

don't worry...

just trust me ;)