Chapter 42: Am I not Merciful?

In Memory of Richard Scheetz.

"In nature there are neither rewards nor punishments; there are consequences." -Robert Green Ingersoll.

The battle throughout the area had continued. Jacob and Ethan had started to move as quick as they could fighting both the Nure and the Kuchisake. Both had to increase their speed as to move faster then they usually did. Which was just fast enough to keep pace with the Nure as the Nure were starting to slither as fast as a cheetah on land. One of the Nure tried to strike at Ethan, but Ethan had jumped out of the way and managed to land a blow on the Nure with an energy sword. But he also reacted quickly enough to block a blow from a nearby Kuchisake that attacked him with a knife. Lizzie also emerged from the ground like a gopher. "Whack a Mole!" She yelled causing a branch to fall on a Nure causing it to crash as it slithered. Akira then sliced the Nure to ribbons.

"Thanks, Lizzie." Ethan thanked.

"Your welcome. Guess these Yokai have never been in an Arcade before." Lizzie replied.

"Which is weird considering that we're in Japan." Jacob added. But he saw more Nure slithering in their general direction. "Look out!"

In the meantime, Aiya continued to fight off more of the Kuchisake with her 9 Tails, but they were both falling under attack by the Nure. Takumi continued to fight by her side, deflecting both shot after shot. Ben was also by their side, continuing to shoot some fire spells at both of their enemies.

"This has got to be the strangest 3 way battle I think I've ever been part of." Ben commented.

"How many 3 way battles have you been a part of?" Takumi asked.

"Just the one." Ben answered. He then could see more Kuchisake showing up. 

"Die, European!" The Kuchisake yelled.

"I'm actually British, we're not really European." Ben clarified. "I mean we sort of our in Europe but we're not part of the Main Land."

"I don't think it matters to them." Takumi pointed out.

"Probably." Ben replied. He then engaged more of the Kuchisake.

Meanwhile. Ethan and Jacob dodge some more attacks from the Nure who were trying to drive them to the sea where a whole nest of Nure were waiting for them. Lizzie could tell that's where they were headed.

"Boys!" She yelled.

"Yeah, I know." Jacob replied. He could see what the Nure were trying to do. Jacob then apparated at the top of one of the Volcanos of Kyushu. And took some of the Nure with him to give Ethan and Lizzie time to run the other way.

Jacob stood at the edge of the Volcano's rim. And some of the Nure charged right him. But Jacob jumped out of the way making the Nure fall right into the magma. Jacob then slid down one of the Volcano rocks on one massive rock sliding it down like a sled. And he was also trying to defend himself from the other Kuchisake that were fighting him on the mountain.

Lizzie was running with Ethan against the other Nure that Jacob hadn't put to the torch yet. Lizzie was casting some Ice shards at the Nure. Ethan could see what Lizzie was doing. And he decided to give Lizzie a boost. He shot a wind spell that increased the speed of the Shards that shattered several more of the Nure to bits. 

Ethan kept running sending in some more spells, until... his foot made contact with a stone in the sand on the beach. He tripped and fell head smack. He yelled out in pain.