As I lay there, waiting for her to drift off. I continue with my memory of the night I saw her wings. Well, a piece of them. I was struggling with coming out to my parents. They were fighting over what was best for me downstairs. I was in my room, listening to their voices, which always carried up the stairs and into my room so easily. I heard every word, even the ones I didn't want to. They'd been separated for years leading up to this. I found out later their situation-, my situation was a lot more complex than I thought.

Eve sighs. I think I've made progress in helping her relax. Still, I keep caressing her with my fingers, lightly, just as she likes.

I close my eyes and see Eve's face. Her dark wings encircling us. I try to focus on them, but I can't make out every detail. Being able to see her with them, even if just a little, helped me see just how beautiful they must have been.

X X X X

The sun gleams through the bedroom window. I look for Eve, but she isn't in bed anymore. She often goes for a run of a morning and I can only guess that's where she has gone now. I don't know where she finds the energy.

My phone buzzes on the bedside table. I reach for it and see a text from my mom.

Are you ladies still coming for lunch?-Mom

Yes. We will be there.

Shit. I forgot all about lunch with my parents for my birthday. I completely forgot it was even my birthday.

Great! We're looking forward to seeing you. Happy Birthday, Allison. I love you!-Mom

Thanks, mom. See you soon.

I put my phone up and head to the kitchen for a cup of coffee. I'm going to need a lot of caffeine to function today. I don't do well without sleep, and my midnight chat with Eve definitely interrupted my slumber. I'm not complaining, though. I want to know what's going on with her. I just wish she would open up about it.

I get a cup from the cabinet above the coffeepot and pour myself a cup. I sprinkle in a teaspoon of sugar and stir it around while taking a seat on the couch. I look out the gigantic picture window at the bright sunny day. The clear blue skies and cheerful children playing at the playground across the street make me smile.

The apartment door opens and Eve strides in. Her curly red hair is up in a ponytail. She wears black athletic shorts and a sports bra. Her skin glistens with sweat.

"Good morning, baby." She smiles, shutting the door behind her.

"Did you have a pleasant run?"

"Mostly," she says, walking over to me. "I didn't want to wake you. I know how much you need your sleep."

"More sleep would do you good too." I take a sip of coffee. Eve's expression falls. I feel the distance between us. I wish it wasn't there, but I've put up a wall. I know she's keeping something from me, and to say it makes me uncomfortable is an understatement.

"I'm going to shower and get ready for our lunch with your parents," she says. "Happy birthday, Allie." Eve winks.

"Thanks, I guess," I say.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, Eve. I'm just tired."

She leans down and kisses my forehead.
"I don't want to ruin your day. Would you rather go to your parents alone?" she asks.

"What the hell? Of course not. I want you there. Besides, I think they love you just a little more than they do me." I tease.

"They do not." She laughs, walking down the hall to the bathroom.