Four: Essence

“Listen, we must defend humanity’s past to save its future,” Romani told those gathered in the command room. “I got the report about the crystal from Mash and what Lev said. From Chaldea’s state, what Lev said was true. We can’t contact the outside world. The staff who left Chaldea haven’t returned. And from what the Riders have said, I fear humanity has already been destroyed. Chaldea seems to be the only place outside of the normal timeline. Perhaps it’s staying on the timeline right before the collapse.”

“Then it sounds like we have work to do,” Aleksei surmised, receiving a nod of affirmation.

“Of course,” The doctor said. “First, I want you to see this. We tried scanning earth with the resurrected Shiva. It’s earth of the past, not the future. The Fuyuki singularity was destroyed, thanks to you. But we hypothesize that the future was unchanged due to another cause. The result being this distorted world map. A newly discovered dimensional disturbance against which Fuyuki pales in comparison.”

“They say that changing the past changes the future,” Chulainn remarked. “Of course, only slightly changing something in the past won’t overthrow the future, but on this scale..”

“Right,” Romani agreed. “These singularities are based on humanity’s turning points. ‘What if this war didn’t end?’ ‘What if this naval voyage wasn’t successful?’ ‘What if this discovery was wrong?’ ‘What if this nation couldn’t become independent?’ The ultimate decision points to determine the current state of humanity.”

“Destroying them would for sure shake human history to its core,” Iskandar spoke.

“Because of these seven singularities, as Lev said, humanity doesn’t make it to 2019,” The doctor said. “But we’re different. Chaldea has yet to reach that future. Do you understand? Only we can fix this mistake. Now we have a chance to return the singularities to normal,” Romani continued. “So here’s the deal. Rayshift into these seven singularities and get history back on track. It’s the only way to save humanity.

“However, we are still powerless. Expect you two, all other master candidates are frozen. Mash, Iskandar, Medusa and Cu Chulainn are the only servants we have right now. I realize you’re being forced into this situation. Even so, I’ll still say it. Master candidates number one and forty eight, Aleksei Vasiliev and Ritsuka Fujimaru.. If you wish to save humanity.. If you wish to have a future beyond 2018.. Then you two must go and face these seven singularities in human history.

“Are you prepared to do this? Can you shoulder the burden of Chaldea and humanity’s future?” Romani asked, his facial expression more serious than any other that came before it.

“Of course,” Fujimaru nodded, a determined smile on his face.

“Might as well,” Aleksei shrugged, and Chulainn almost snorted at how nonchalant his master was being. The other two were used to it.

“Thank you,” Romani’s face lit up. “With those words, our fate has been decided. We will now carry out the Preservation of Humanity as laid out by Olga Marie Anumisphere, former director of Chaldea. Our objective is the protection and recovery of human history. Our search target will be each era’s relic and Grail. Our opponent is history itself. Many heroic spirits and legends will stand against you.”

“They can try,” Aleksei muttered. “We’ll still win.”

“That’s the spirit,” Romani smiled. “This is now Chaldea’s last yet original mission: The Grand Order! In the name of the magical world’s highest order, we’ll take back the future!”

“Then don’t you agree we should stop wasting time chatting and start working?”

“Let’s get right to the briefing, then!” the Doctor quickly began explaining. “There are two objectives for when you get to the singularity: Recover the holy grail and bring it back to Chaldea with you or destroy it, and find a leyline and establish a summoning circle.”

“Got it,” Aleksei said. “Anything else?”

“Before all else, we’ll probably have to make a base camp first,” Mash spoke up. “What we’ll need is a place to relax, a structure with a roof, a come to come back to. Right, Master?”

“Right,” Fujimaru nodded. “You have a way with words, Mash.”

“H-hearing you say that,” She stammered, “really means a lot to me.. I know I’m still an inexperienced servant, but you can count on me. I’ll be giving it my all.”

“Same here,” Chulainn stepped up.

"I will as well," Medusa copied him.

"Can't let Aleksei do this alone," Iskandar put his hand on the master's shoulder.

"You need your eyes checked."

"Bahaha! That's my Alek!" He patted him on the shoulder as he thundered laughter. Everyone sweatdropped.

“But I’m glad that I can count on you,” Aleksei said, “But just to be safe, I want to summon one more servant before we go.”

“Uh—” Romani blinked.

"Another one? With these numbers?" Chulainn squinted at him. "How's your mana holding up--"

"I'm fine, don't worry. I can properly fuel over 100 servants before getting within driving distance of not being able to continue," He waved off the comment. "So, Doctor Roman?"

"Of course, it's a good idea. We still have some time before the rayshift is completely ready to go, so—"

“I’ll lead the way to the summoning room!” Da Vinci popped up, seemingly out of nowhere but Aleksei had known she had been there for a while now, impatiently listening and tapping her foot with her arms crossed.

“I’ll go by myself,” He waved off her offer, shoving his hands in his pockets as he made his way out of the room.

“That’s Aleksei for ya,” Chulainn chuckled as the doors closed.

"You're one to talk for only having been contracted to him yesterday."

Arriving in the summoning room a few seconds later, Aleksei stood just outside of the summoning circle. Closing his eyes and extending his senses, he began to speak as he held a hand out over the circle.

“Hear me, Grail of my forefathers, your son calls to you. Send only your finest servant to assist me in this venture to restore humanity. From the seventh heaven, attended to by three great words of power, come forth from the rings of restraints, protector of the holy balance!”

A bright light filled the room, and Aleksei felt something warm touch his cheek. “How could I deny you..?” A soft voice echoed in his mind, its breathe fanning on his face. “Your wish is my command, my son.”

The light soon subsided, leaving two figures in the room. “Lancer class servant, Enkidu,” The person introduced themselves. “I have come in response to your call.”

“Ah,” A rare smile came over Aleksei’s face. “I wasn’t expecting the weapon of the gods, but I guess I can’t ask for better,” He extended his hand towards them. “Welcome to Chaldea, Enkidu. I’m Aleksei Vasiliev, your master. Please take care of me.”

“Yes,” Enkidu took his hand, smiling brightly. “I look forward to working with you, Master!”