𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖙𝖜𝖊𝖑𝖛𝖊

'I know you, I walked with you once upon a dream

I know you, that gleam in your eyes is so familiar a gleam

And I know it's true that visions are seldom all they seem' -Once upon a dream, Lana Del Rey

***

He had been thinking of her; of her words and her touch. He thought about her brutality after, and how much he liked it.

I still don't like you,

She had said.

I won't worship you out of the sudden,

He didn't mind. It would be another boring adventure if she would. The Darkling liked Astra's fierceness, he loved her remoteness. It had been a long time since he had been thinking of a girl. It was the first time he wanted more.

And my choice is still option one; destroying the Fold.

This bothered him, it was stuck in his head. He has shown her the pyres which he had arranged. Many good Grisha had died for it, and she just would not change her mind.

He has shown her the school, but even the sad made-up backstories of some kids wouldn't get her to see reason. It was close, though. Astra knew she would have been there herself if her parents weren't so scared.

He needed something effective. Maybe an attack on the palace? No, the king and queen would never allow it and it would risk war if he told them the Fjerda had actually attacked.

The Darkling sipped from his fresh coffee, delivered by a servant. He sat in the council room, he would make this a war room one day. He knew a real war would come someday, maybe not for this king and queen but it would come.

A knock disturbed his thinking. Maybe it was Astra, maybe she felt that lust again like the evening of the ball. But he would use it this time, how cruel it sounded, he would use Astra's desires to see reason and choose his second option. If not and the time would come of the destruction, he was not sure if he would be able to keep his word.

Bagra had been updating him about Astra's training, it was going good, great even. She was ready for a bigger challenge, but he wasn't. Azura had told him about her combat training, she was a natural at this too. It wasn't a surprise when she had taken care of herself for eight years.

The door opened and Clive came in looking around and spotting the Darkling in his chair. "No one answered so I let myself in..." Clive said cautiously.

Clive looked happier since he had gone to the winter ball with Artemis Ward, the Darkling had noticed it when he saw them dancing. He was surprised the girl had said yes to Clive, he always thought she didn't like him. But love affairs weren't his problem.

"What can I do for you, Clive." Clive's grin slowly disappeared as he cleared his throat. "Astra is gone. Dusk too. A servant found Dusk's kefta outside and a note for you..." Clive waited until the Darkling looked at him to step forward with the note in front of him.

The Darkling stood up and snatched the note out of Clive's hand. His pupils were tinner, extremely focused as he read over the note.

What I'm doing now is maybe very selfish... I should be training and learn to control my powers so I can destroy the Fold. But if I didn't go, the guilt would follow me towards my grave. He's alive, you may know. You know for certain actually, and I won't blame you for not telling me. I would have had a good life without him. But knowing he still exists, that he isn't dead...