𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖋𝖔𝖚𝖗

Astra was waiting and freezing in a tent. A Grisha had offered her his kefta, but her stubborn self declined. She sat on a couch, her hands were tied up and spread behind her back. "We don't want you to blind someone else." The Grisha had said.

Not many Grisha knew she was -what they called a sun summoner-, she guessed. The ones who knew looked at her like their saving angel, the ones who didn't look at her like she was picked up trash from the streets.

She had been trying to get out of the chains, but they were made of Grisha metal. The couch, however, laid amazing. She was really tempted to just sleep there. But what if he enters and sees you sleeping, he'll think you're weak. That thought had a point, but maybe it could be the other way around. He'll think she's weak, and later when he least expects it she'll attack.

She gave in and leaned back against the couch. She closed her eyes and made herself comfortable. She woke up after what felt like a second, but outside it was light again. She saw the Darkling walking in the tent looking through maps. She wanted to rub her eyes so badly, but her hands were still chained. The Darkling looked behind him and saw Astra sitting on the couch staring at him.

"Ah, you're finally awake." He let the maps fall out of his hands, he walked towards the couch opposite of her and sat down. "I hope you had a good night, Miss Éowyn. You looked horrible when you came here." Astra frowned her eyebrows, "Thanks." She said sarcastically.

"Oh no, don't take it that way. I'm just very sorry for what you've been through." He gave a small friendly smile. Astra didn't react, she was in fact shaking but didn't want him to know. "So, Miss Éowyn, I came to the understanding that you have traveled a long way. On foot even. I'd given the order to prepare you some food."

The Darkling clapped and all sorts of Grisha entered with plates full of food. The first Grisha had brought a table and placed it in between Astra and the Darkling. Almost every Grisha was gone after they placed their plate on the table, except one. A girl in a purple kefta with gray embroidery.

She waited until the Darkling gave her a sign. He tilted his head her way, the Durast moved her hands together and the chains fell off Astra's hands. The girl also left the tent, leaving the Darkling alone again with now hand-free Astra.

"Why free me?" Astra asked while she rubbed her wrists, "I can still blind you. It's not because you said two sentences I won't try to escape." The Darkling smirked 'cause of that, "Why would you want to leave? You've finally found the place and people you belong with."

Astra didn't answer anymore, she was completely focused on the fresh bread and its particular smell. There was bread and jam, there were grapes and a whole basket full of fruit. On the other side of the table, there stood fresh brownies and little cakes. All the unique fragrances met with Astra's nose and it felt like the saints' rewards.

The food could be poisoned, but Astra took the chance. If she would be killed by it, she wouldn't have to talk to the Darkling. Astra took a bit of everything, it had been years since she ate a good meal.

While she was eating, she sometimes gave a glimpse at the Darkling. He just leaned back on his couch and watched how she ate. It was better than talking, Astra told herself at least.

When she had made herself comfortable, however, he began to talk again. "I know this will be a big change for you and I know we haven't started off on the good foot, but-" Astra interrupted him. "Haven't started off on the good foot? You sent a damn army after me."

His face was blank, nothing to read but he stayed calm. He was really patient. "That was because I wanted you safe as fast as possible." Astra scoffed, "And the time you unaware threatened me because you thought I would tell people that the 'sun summoner' is real?"