𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 𝖓𝖎𝖓𝖊

"You haven't cried for me, have you?"

Astra slowly opened her eyes as the dark figure in front of her took form. She jumped up when she saw his face and held her dagger in front of her. It's a dream, she kept saying to herself. It's a nightmare, she would add.

"The Grisha I saw on my way here were delighted to see me again. They said you felt so bad because you couldn't save me."

He had cuts all over his body, he could have let them have healed before coming here but she knew he wanted her to see them. He wanted her to see what he had to go through because she had left him there.

"You have to let me explain..."

"But of course not Astra! You're an ambitious girl, I respect that." It was a lie even the dumbest person could spot. His grin explained it all. "However, I think the Drüskelle didn't like what happened after that. It took me a whole night to end their lives, those men were just as ambitious as you. Ambitious to stay alive, but then it ended, even ambition can't help a person sometimes."

He wiped a spot of blood further over his face with his gloved hand. This was the time to ask questions. "Why were you scared when I touched you?" His brows raised, "Scared? Just some childhood memories."

"That isn't an answer." She commanded. He sighed, "I'm a human amplifier." It said enough and explained everything. Astra wasn't a big Grisha expert but knew about human amplifiers, they are the Grisha who come to test children.

"You expected me to murder you for your power?" She asked. He snorted at this. "Not anymore. Now I know you would have me murdered for fun."

"I held a knife to your chest not long ago. You only found out now?" He couldn't keep his face straight, he couldn't take any of her words seriously and it made Astra feel for some reason even more guilty. "You were scared yourself, you didn't want to murder me. you never did until yesterday. It was out of anger and that's why I told you that little pep talk. Of course, you took the whole other way."

Astra remembered the 'pep talk', "Astra, do you know how the typical villain is formed?" She shook her head while finally meeting his eyes. "People want revenge, which leads to anger. Anger feeds on your fear and there will be only hatred. Hate... hate leads to suffering. And that is the path towards the dark side, towards everyone's villain. Don't take it, Astra. Believe me, It's not worth it."

"Now my turn, why did you do it, Sankta Astra?" He was teasing again, it made Astra a little more comfortable.

"I don't know! I thought it was for the best, I knew you would murder those Drüskelle and I didn't want more death on my name. I know it sounds stupid now... "

It stayed quiet for a few more minutes, "Your plan was good though, except the part of leaving me." Astra didn't know if she should thank him or just stay quiet.

"Before I leave, I'll tell you another thing you can think about every second of your day. Not a single scar you have is made by me." And he exited the tent, she could hear him call for a healer and then there was another wave of silence, only her loud thoughts filled the tent.

She put on her kefta and made her own way outside. The Grisha looked happier than ever. They called for her and told her the happy news. She nodded and made herself put on a fake smile, not that she wasn't happy for them, just felt her heart beat a little faster every time someone talked about it.

***

They had another long journey home, Astra didn't sit in the carriage anymore. She rode the whole time with some other Grisha. The Squaller who had helped her with the Drüskelle talked the whole trip. The Squaller told her all about what the other Grisha said, "They think you're a real saint, I can tell them a thousand times I blew the bullets away but they won't believe me. It's hilarious."