Back to the Stone Age

Start from the beginning

"Yeah, and maybe...we should stick together", said Jane.

"Fine!", Liam raised his hands in surrender, "I have no problem, the more, the merrier".

"Yeah, what can be merrier than a stroll in the unknown woods of an unknown island", exclaimed Billy sarcastically.

The five teenagers walked towards the outline of the dark forest. Everywhere it was just silence, except the crashing of the waves. Living a life in a state like California, where bustling crowds is the major sight, the island felt like it was out of the world. How can something be so silent? It felt so unnerving, so disturbing, so unnatural, so wrong. It felt like, humans were prohibited here, and now that they have trespassed it, they were going to be executed. Soon, they reached the edge of the forest. The darkness was impenetrable. There wasn't even a single ray of light. It seemed like someone has painted, the forest with the darkest shade of black. The soft glow of the moon has illuminated the edge of the forest. Fortunately, they did find some dry trees like willow, cedar, cypress, and walnut which according to Julie were best to light a fire. 

Before Liam or Billy could get up on the tree, Julie grabbed their hands to stop them. 

"What?", asked Liam.

"What if there are snakes on the tree?", she said.

"So, what are we going to now, we need the wood", said Billy.

"I know", piped up Jane. 

She then bent down and picked up a stone and threw it at the tree. Immediately, the sounds of birds filled the silent atmosphere. 

"When I used to go to my grandfather's house, I used to climb the trees in his backyard. One day, my grandfather told me always to throw a stone at the tree to check whether there is a snake or not. Birds normally don't reside on trees where snakes live, so this is how I know the life hack.", she explained.

"Thanks, Jane", replied Billy and Liam.

Billy and Liam climbed the trees and broke as many thin branches as possible. Since they didn't have any cutting material, the only wood that was available to them were branches that could be easily broken by hands. After they had collected enough wood, they went back to the seaside to light a fire. While returning, the girls found a tree with huge leaves, so they had picked some of them to act like their mattresses. 

"So!", Liam said, while clapping his hands, "who knows how to light a fire?"

"I think I can, I have read about it", Julie said.

"She took the wood pieces from Liam and Billy and selected one which looked like a stick and then took another which fairly look like a flattened piece.

"So, this stick is called a spindle, this flat piece is called a fireboard", she said. She placed the spindle on the fireboard, then spun it to create friction between the spindle and the fireboard. Julie's friends stared at her eagerly as she rubbed the spindle against the firewood with all her might. After a good fifteen minutes, of Julie vigorously rubbing the spindle against the fireboard, small embers finally started to form. 

Her friends cheered for her while she blushed and smiled to herself. Billy let some more woods near the embers which caught fire immediately. In no time, they have successfully created a bonfire. Jane and Sam placed the leaves around the fire, and they all sat down at once. They were completely exhausted both physically as well as mentally.

"Feels weird isn't it?", asked Julie.

"Yeah, looks like we have been kicked back to the stone age", exclaimed Jane. Her friends nodded and murmured in agreement.

"Let's go to sleep", said Liam. "Maybe, I'll wake up tomorrow and all this will be just a bad dream", he said and immediately laid down.

 "Maybe, I'll wake up tomorrow and all this will be just a bad dream", he said and immediately laid down

His friends followed his lead and laid down on their backs. Above them, was the cloudless sky sparkling with stars. It looked like someone has strewed diamonds all over the place. It was breathtaking. It was nothing they have ever seen in their life. No one talked, they just stared their the sky. Finally, exhaustion took the best of them, and fell into a peaceful slumber.