Chapter 23

Marco

"I want you to marry my daughter, Ellie."

"You want me to what?" I asked in astonishment.

Why does it seem like I've had this conversation before?

Oh right. Because I have. Only with a mesmerizing beauty asking me the first time.

"I will hand over MI to you, if you marry my daughter."

"Why? Why would hand MI to me in exchange to marrying your daughter?"

He shrugged. "I want my daughter settled. She turns away every man I try to get her to meet," he said and sighed. "Marco, I've known you for a long time. I know that you are a good man and I know that you will take care of Ellie. I had a feeling about you two from the first moment you met."

I snorted. "Yes, she hated my guts," I said.

"She liked you and she didn't want to admit it. Just like you don't want to admit that you feel something for her too," he said.

I shook my head. "Zio, I mean this with no disrespect at all. But Ellie is a beautiful woman. Any man would be blind not to see that. But that's not the point. Ellie doesn't want to get married. I don't think she will agree to this arrangement," I said.

"She doesn't know and it will remain that way. This arrangement is between the two of us. She is never to find out about it Marco. My daughter is very stubborn. She will not agree to any of this," he said.

"That is why, it is not a good idea. We'd be lying to her," I pointed out.

"Marco, this will go on as any normal relationship. You date. Get to know each other, then you propose and get married. I'm merely sweetening the pot for you by handing over MI."

I was stunned into silence. My head is reeling. It still doesn't feel right. I will still be lying to Ellie.

"You can just sell MI to me. I'm willing to pay any amount. Ellie doesn't have to get involved," I said.

"I don't want your money Marco," he said.

"I know that, Zio. But, you can't expect me to marry her. I'm not ready for marriage. I happen to like my life the way it is..."

"Do you? Do you find fulfilment in testing the waters?"

I frowned. "I..." Oh hell. What do I say to that? Fuck. Ever since I met, Ellie, I've never been with anyone because they simply don't do anything for me. They don't make me feel the way that Ellie does.

Merda!

He smirked. "That's what I thought."

I looked at him and shook my head. "She won't marry me. She doesn't want to get married," I said again. "She can't even stand me. We fight and argue all the time," I excused.

He laughed. "And that's why I think that you will be a perfect match."

I looked at him as if he has grown two heads.

"Marco, I saw the way you look at each other."

I shook my head. "I..."

"You're a smart man, Marco. You'll figure it out."

"You have three months..." He started to say but I cut him off.

"I haven't agreed, Zio," I said.

"You will. You want this too much," he said.

I was silent for a few moments. I promised my father that I will do whatever it takes to finish what he started. It promised that Leandros will pay for what he did to my nonno and I have the chance to fulfill my promise. All I have to do is marry Ellie.