Chapter twenty one

T.W: Attempted sexual assault, if you find this sensitive, I advise you skip the chapter and ask me in the comments what happens OTHER than that

For the rest of the meeting, Azriel clung to me tightly, unwilling to let go. I didn't mind, alright, maybe I enjoyed it- a little bit. The Lords kept their gazes on Rhysand as he spoke of the newfound knowledge he'd discovered, and how we had gone there to retrieve it. 

I almost spat at him when Eris turned a glowering glare to Mor, who then tried to remain strong willed, standing high, yet mentally cowered in fear. I turned my own scowl to him, and he stopped looking at Morrigan. 

Boring arguments, jokes, pieces of conversation and accusations flew cross the room in the span of an hour, none of us moved, we remained a solid wall behind the High Lord and Lady of the Night Court.

"I think this is enough of talk, those of you who want to leave can do so, those who request a night here, we are happy to assist you, we have our finer guest rooms here for High Lords and their ladies." Rhysand explained, "We will also be staying the night for those of you who might want some questions in private." A whole night. Here. 

Feyre stood, along with a few others at the table and gave us a nervous smile, dismissing us. Azriel slowly unwinded his arms from around me, and we, Mor and Cassian, all strode with a sense of purpose away from the round table, shadows still curled against my fingertips, and i probably would never grow bored of the feeling.

I followed the others around subconsciously, my mind sinking into that dark place it usually went to whenever I felt a sense of dread. A hallway of white surprised me; I didn't ever get to explore here, so this place was entirely new for me. It might not feel so bad, then. I thought.

"Us and our court will be down here," Feyre explained to whoever remained, gesturing to where we stood, then she pointed the opposite way, a mirror corridor to our own, "And everyone else down there."

Tarquin, Helion and Tamlin remained. Tamlin remained. Most likely the fact that his court was furthest away. Tarquin's cousins lurked behind him as he strutted down the corridor, his white hair swishing behind him. I didn't deign to see the others as I approached a door at random, my friends- my family doing the same, and twisted the knob harshly, allowing myself access into my room, before I froze, the door clicking shut behind me.

An eggshell ceiling, sickly white walls, and flaking paint had my heart already in my throat, all of the furniture set out exactly in the same fashion. The only thing from making me loose it entirely was seeing there was no bucket in the corner. A small whimper still escaped my throat as I felt my body stand stock-still, my breaths coming shorter, as one blink after the next, I could see blood all over the sheets, the reeking tang of it in the air, the infuriating cries I'd had-

"Ciana, Ciana, calm down, alright? Breathe, I'm here with you." I couldn't see anything, I could only hear my wild, ragged breathing as someone murmured, "Look, I'm going to just move you out of here, this is obviously too much." I chocked on my words as someone picked me up, the smell of night-chilled mist and cedar tickling my senses was the last thing I remembered before a candle was blown out.

I woke to shadows curling around me, offering a peaceful comfort. When I opened my eyes I felt a voice fill my head from the shadows around me. I will be back soon, I am quickly dealing with something. If you need anything, ask Cassian. I've already told him. Breathe.

Why was Azriel so perfect? My stomach rumbled, and my head ached. You know the way to the kitchen. The voices hissed at me, my own ones, this time. Yes, I did.

I silently rolled out of the bed, ignoring the way Az's shadows flared in protest as I stalked to the slightly ajar door and out into the hallway. I allowed my instincts to take hold as I followed my shadows passed various doors, but noticed something was off when they lead me in the opposite way from the kitchen.

Pale, light blue watery eyes widened in pain as a dagger went through my brother, he screamed, but the sound didn't get far as the silhouetted male beside him shoved a hand over his mouth, quietening him enough that a room over wouldn't hear. "You hurt your sister so many times that I can't believe it! Have you noticed how many scars she has? Have you noticed how many times she's been unconscious and used to the fact because of you, because of your father?" I felt sick, I knew that voice, almost better than my own, and this- this moment, I had had it in a nightmare.

Now I knew who killed my brother.

"Please!" Eliam cried, "I will apologise!"

Azriel snarked, "That is a stupid promise, and it wouldn't change anything about what you have done." With one sharp loud snap, Eliam's head rolled across the white tiled floor, blood spilling in its wake. His mouth open in a gaping scream.

"Let's go." Az sighed, kicking the body.

Immediately, I moved. I silently ran down the corridor, a few more until I knew it would take a while for him to find me. "So, you are the new Illyrian of Rhysand's court? Beautiful you are." I turned slowly, trying to keep my panting quiet. Tamlin's green eyes burned into my skull. I scowled, "What's in it to you?"

A horrible grin grew on his pale face, "I had been thinking of offering you to join my in my room." He crooned. I gagged, Tamlin was a piece of shit, and he knew our whole court knew of him that way. "Sorry to hold your hopes up, Tamlin, but I am not at all keen to be near you." I snapped, retreating a step when he gained one, scowling up into his stupid face. His eyes looked down and he smirked, "Never mind, it looks like you're taken, anyway." I dared myself a glance at my body, on which I had Azriel's shirt on. My cheeks burned.

"The Shadowsinger and I are fr-" Tamlin took a step closer, and I found myself against the wall. I glared up at him, "Don't try anything funny, you b-"
He put his arms on either side of my head and kissed me. The feeling felt so wrong, and I scratched at him, making him growl and try again, a disgusting moan escaping his mouth. Horror coiled in me, and I quickly struck out my foot, making him moan for a different reason. He gripped between his legs and fell to his knees, "That's no way to treat a High Lord." He spat, wheezing slightly. I made no move to help him up as he forced himself off of the ground. "I should try fuck you for messing with me-"

Tamlin toppled to the ground again, and Azriel snarled, "That's no way to treat my..." He glanced between me and the High Lord, I took a step closer to Azriel, whatever blood had been on his clothes was gone. "That's no way to treat my Second." His chest heaved, and his hazel eyes burned.

Without warning, Azriel gripped my hand and sprinted. I managed to get my footing and ran after him, oblivious to wherever we were going. What the fuck has just happened in the past hour? We turned down a few familiar hallways until we reached the one in which we'd slept.

Instead of going to his bedroom, Az took us right to the end of the corridor, knocking slightly before entering. Feyre sat on the edge of her bed in a lilac plush nightgown, her hair mused with sleep and eyes no doubt bleary. Rhysand wasn't in here, but the sound of splashing water in a door over indicated he was bathing.

"Please winnow us." Azriel growled, "Somewhere where no one is, I need to have a word with Ciana." Feyre sniffed the air, and I tensed, Tamlin's scent would be on me. Her blue-grey eyes filled with shock and hurt as she stared at me, "N-no! That- that didn't happen, trust me." I spluttered, Az didn't move. He just held out his palm to Feyre. 

If you're listening to my mind, I hate Tamlin, I do not feel anything for him. He came onto me. Suddenly the look on her face passed, and I knew Feyre heard. "Alright, I'll take you two to the old townhouse."

Her fingers connected with Azriel's and everything disappeared into the night.