Chapter fifteen

When I woke up, I felt safe. Pretty sure that was the first time I woke up feeling like that.

Realisation hit on why when I realised who's arms were wrapped around me, their head in the crook between my neck and shoulder. Azriel's smile was peaceful, and so very calm. I froze, as though the slightest movement will shatter this moment. His black hair was mused with sleep, features set to be relaxed, and not in a frown, or confused wrinkled brow, or any other faces he usually put on. 

This is my mate. I thought, but didn't let my shadows grip onto the words. They flickered around us, though. Carelessly and harmlessly. Arms tightened around me, and the male behind me lifted his head. "Hello, Boo." He murmured, his voice deep and husky, I blinked. I'd never heard his voice like that before. As though seeing surprise on my face, Azriel smirked.

Last night I'd sang. It had been the first time I had done so in decades. And he'd liked it. Loved it, even. Enough that he kissed me until I thought otherwise of my abilities. I bit my lip, to try keep heat from sparking to my face. "Hello, Az." I replied, his grin grew wider.

We just stayed there for a few moments, Az staring intently at me while I tried to find something to do to pass the time, making him just keep trying to make me redder; winking, smirking, taunting, chuckling, even just talking set me off.

"It's a rash. Or I'm just allergic to something." I mumbled, embarrassment kindling inside of me as I tried to work my way from his arms. "Well, you only blush around me, Boo, so I guess you're allergic to another Shadowsinger."

I cursed as my face heated again. "Burning up, most likely." I growled and Az finally freed me from his grasp. I sat up and strolled back to the sofa, picking up my leathers off of the ground. I turned to Azriel and pointed my finger at him, "As much as I know you would rather stay here, trying to make me pass out from not enough blood circulation in the rest of my body, we have a job to do."

Azriel sighed dramatically, standing up in one graceful movement and strode towards where he'd put his own weapons. Picking his own leathers and things off of the ground. I forced myself into the Illyrian material, strapping and buckling loops and strips, pushing blades into the belt, into pockets.

"We'll have a morning lookout, then come to get breakfast later. I am pretty sure I did squash whatever remnants of the bread there were left." Azriel said, I snickered, it didn't matter the shape or size of the food, I'd eat nonetheless. Suddenly the handsome face before me became more serious, concerned. "Did you have nightmares?" He asked me wearily.

"No, surprisingly not, and if you don't believe me, I think these shadows will possibly be able to tell you just tha-"

"Yes, they did." Az said, nodding. Suddenly he beamed, "It must have seen me and ran, right?" "Sure, Azriel, believe that if you want." I laughed, gesturing with my hand to survey him as I asked, "And you? Did you have any bad dreams?"

"No, I think you are as equally as terrifying as I am."

I was shocked to find myself winking at him, "I think I'm more terrifying, Shadowsinger." He raised his brow, "Is that a competition?"

"The way you said that makes me feel like you are more competitive than Rhysand and Cassian combined."
"I've won both of the Winter Solstice snowball fights two years in a row, and believe I'm going to win it this year, though never tell my brothers I ever said that, unless you'd enjoy seeing them try to pummel the shit out of me to prove otherwise."

"I didn't take you for one to swear, Spymaster." I observed. He snorted, marching over to the drawers covering the door and held onto either side, before I could make my way over he hauled it upwards, his muscles in his arms rippling with the movement as he moved it across two feet, then shoved open the door, sword strapped to his back, when he noticed my gaze, I heard something in my head, Did you like that, Boo? My toes curled, but I managed to roll my eyes, "Please."