Chapter twelve

"It has been reported that something strange is going on..." Rhysand swallowed, his violet eyes looked shadowed, and I felt true concern for the High Lord, he mumbled out the last part, but I heard it easily: "Under the Mountain."

My heart slowed, I'd been under the mountain, for as long as Rhys himself. I saw straight through his mask of mind-games. I knew exactly what he'd been up to, I noticed the distant look in his eyes every time he went in someone's head, I could see how much effort he put in to keep a cruel smirk on his face, I knew the moment Feyre had returned after her first trial with a healed arm, and the tattoo... it was him.

"I will go, see if there is anything or anyone I need to either dispatch, leave there, or bring to the Night Court-"

"Azriel will be coming with you, as we both know, he may have a better understanding of what to do with anyone you find. Or anything you find. Also, we cannot be too sure of what's there, it will most likely have a better outcome if you and Az have each other's backs. Do you understand, Shadowsinger?"

I stiffened, I hadn't realised Azriel had arrived, nor that he'd been told to come. "Yes, when are we expected to leave?" The Spymaster asked, his voice so deep I almost didn't hear. I turned slowly, Azriel was leaning against the wall closest to the door, his hazel eyes fixed on Rhysand.

"Today or tomorrow, you both decide... stay safe." Rhys said, true worry shone across his sharp face. "Thank you for your time, Lord Rhysand." I told him, "We'll investigate."

"I don't doubt that, Ciana. You two are dismissed." I nodded, stepping reluctantly away from Rhysand's desk, striding towards the door, I wrenched it open, and Az slipped out behind me, his arms folded.

I made my way to my room, kicking off my boots as I went through the door. I stalked to the drawers, pulling at the bottom two, which revealed daggers and other sharp weapons. "Really? I keep one under my pillow."

This time I wasn't surprised he was here, though my heart picked up speed, "Yeah, though I'd prefer to get my three hours of sleep, than have to worry about a blade sinking into my head, but you know, that's fine anyway."

"Are we departing today or tomorrow?" Azriel continued, changing the subject. I turned to face him. Of course he had his back to the wall, his brow raised at me. "I honestly don't care; we just need to get the job done." I told him, "Under the Mountain is never watched over, something dangerous could be there." Or worse, I let my eyes tell him.

Azriel read it in my face, and said, "Don't worry; it can't be that bad." I swallowed, I hated Under the Mountain. Amarantha had had some of the low-lives tortured down there, and that included me. 

I shuddered, and immediately felt a steadying hand on my elbow. "Are you alright?" Az asked me, his face just inches from my own. I bit my lip, looking down. "Just worried for Rhys, is all." I lied, "He seemed very... weary."

"Rhysand has his moments. As does everyone in the circle, how was your morning?" He asked me, as though trying to reassure but always change subject. "It was quite nice, actually. I talked to Emmeline in her shop." I told him, "What about you? How's Cass and Nesta?"

"Who's Emmeline?" Azriel questioned, ignoring me, "I've never seen her on the lists of people in Velaris, so did you go further to see her?"

"No, she lives in Velaris, she's the one I bought that flower off for Elain." I confirmed, "How was Cassian and Nesta?"

Something in Az's eyes flickered at my reply, but he still said, "They're good. Cassian spared with me, while Nesta caught up with her two friends, Emerie and Gwyn." His face brightened at the mention of the last female, and something kindled in my gut. "That's nice." I said, though I'd turned back to the drawers, pulling out two twin blades, then a few small knives. I'd collect a sword from the training rack later.