Chapter 58-Sophie

Start from the beginning

Sophie reached out her mind to theirs, trying to grasp them, looking for any piece of their own will.

But try as she did to break through that strange purple wall in her mind, she couldn't get through to the white light shining through.

Somehow, she felt a crack in the wall, and saw one word before the wall closed in on her.

Unwanted.

Sophie hitched a breath, tears blurring her vision when she realized that was Edaline's first thought at her name.

Mom, she thought desperately.

Keefe's shoulder bumped hers, his presence grounding her for a moment. They were there for a reason. To save them. He could snap them out of the trance. They just had to get to them.

"Losing you was one of the hardest things I've ever endured. But the worst part was knowing that you had no idea how much you mean to us."

She squared her shoulders.

They care about you, she reminded herself. Remember that.

"What do we do?" He whispered.

She opened her mouth to answer, but was interupted again.

"Bring him out." Alina said, her tone making Sophie want to drop everything and bring someone out. Who, however, she had no idea.

Her stomach sunk as they prodded someone into her line of sight. Strawberry blond hair. Periwinkle eyes.

Dex.

"Great. This makes it so much easier." Keefe whispered.

"What are they doing?" Sophie questioned, dreading the answer.

"So... shall we take his head?"

Sophie froze.

Alina circled Dex, her lips pursed. She changed direction. "Or maybe the parents?"

Her vision turned black, tunneling in on the Alina.

She was dimly aware of Keefe's arm encircling her shoulders, his hand grasping one of hers.

A blue breeze shot through her mind, more aggressive than usual, calming her just enought to see clearly.

Dimly, she wondered why her Enhancing still worked when her Telepathy and Inflicting didn't. But Keefe was talking to her, murmuring encouragement.

"Wait," his lips brushed her ear. "Hold on, Foster. Hold on."

She trembled. "But—"

"I know. I know, Foster. We need to wait for a second. She hasn't done anything, but if she tries, we can drop her in seconds."

"Seconds," she echoed in a low murmur. A dark, murmur.

"We'll just use the boy," Alina scoffed. "He'll be enough. Sophie grows too attached to—"

She frowned.

Edaline was rubbing her temples. "Soph—"
she groaned, but Alina scowled and snapped off a quiet command, making Edaline's face freeze yet again.

"She remembered me," Sophie whispered in a rush.

Alina spoke again. "Bring the parents inside. Now." Her voice grew sharper as the guards clumsily stepped forward.

Keefe chewed his lip and scanned the clearing. "Okay, here's the plan: I distract, you sneak to them and grab your parents."

Sophie didn't answer.