Chapter 5: Sanguine

Start from the beginning

Unlike Leone, Manny and I were born into the mafia, and have been alongside each other since childhood. Our friendship has been tried and tested throughout the many years of near death encounters and traumatic experiences. He is like a brother to me, with no hesitance, I would give up my life for him.

"Have you placed them in the cellars?" I asked, but sighed and took a swig of whiskey as I was ignored.

"Do we really think that she could be a part of this?" he wondered, leaning against the wall.

"We believe that they were both sent by Cairo," Leone answered, referring to the don of the Aetos family.

"But, she seems so clueless, it doesn't even look like she's working with Alexander," he remarked.

"That is the job of a spy is it not, Manny? To pretend to not have any knowledge when you are captured by your adversary," I said as I narrowed my eyes at him.

"It's possible that she's innocent," he suggested with a shrug to his shoulders.

"I doubt that she is just some innocent, random girl. Alexander was willing to die for her, surely they are working together," Leone scoffed.

"How did they even get into the museum in the first place?" Manny asked as he raised an eyebrow towards me.

"Baglioni was desperate to hire new employees, given what happened to his previous curator. He did not think twice to inform me of his decision or ask for my permission. It seems he has forgotten that his museum would not exist without me."

I had found Baglioni years ago when I was working to expand my network and trade with other mafias. He was an aspiring museum director, but his business was failing. It was the most opportune moment for both parties, and so I acted on it. I brought him clients while my products were processed in and out of the museum, the building simply acted as a front.

"But, this still doesn't make any sense. Why was one of Romano's men there?" Leone contemplated aloud.

"If the head of the Greek Mafia is ignorant enough to send two of his people to Italia, then he could be working with Romano..." Manny trailed on.

"I don't know Nico, this is a tough one. We need answers," Manny said while shaking his head in confusion.

He was right, the events of tonight have become more puzzling as we continued down a complex web of theories. My mind went to the only option that we had left, the source for all of our answers: our only lead.

Arabella.

A woman so frail that she could shatter under my touch. It is a shame that she is working for the Greek Mafia, but even more unfortunate that her death will come so soon. She is a life gone to waste.

I dismissed my thoughts on how my hands will bring death to both of these Greeks by the end of this night, and turned to look at Manny with a nod, signaling to proceed with the plan that has filled both of our pondering minds.

"Bring her in."

Arabella's P.O.V.

About an hour had passed since I have been trapped in this cold cell, kneeling beside Alexander's unconscious body. All this time has been spent cleansing the blood off of his face with a ragged cloth, a piece that I have torn from the hem of his ripped shirt. It was a simple task, although I did not mind at all, it had taken my thoughts away from this life-altering night.

One of Nicolo's men had given us glasses of water, Manuele was the name, if I remember correctly. But, only my eyes have touched his offering, as I kept my distance, watching it glimmer under the dim light of the moon, too afraid of any poisonous substances that may contaminate it.