Dream would have found the moment endearing.
If he wasn't so distracted.

"You gave me such a fright, Lana." Her father said, lifting his head and pressing his forehead against hers. She had her arms around his neck.

"I sorry I ran away." She said, dropping her head to his shoulder. He sighed and patted her on the back.

"It's ok. I'm just glad you're safe."

He then finally, finally looked at Dream, and he immediately froze.

The two men stared at each for an unacceptable amount of time. Dream looked between him and... his daughter, immediately connecting the pieces between them that were almost identical.

The father swallowed, glancing down at Alana and then back at Dream.

"Hi George." Dream whispered, for fear of his voice breaking.

"Hi. Dream." George replied, also in a whisper.

As he uttered the name, Alana's head shot back up and she turned to look at Dream with a wide smile and twinkling eyes. God, those twinkling eyes.

"Dream!" She just about shrieked, and started pushing against George, twisting in his grip. George put her down at her command, and she ran to Dream again, grabbing his pants at the knees and looking up at him with a face that he could only describe as awe.

"Dream! Dream! You're Dream!" She said, and then held up her arms. The same movement she did earlier when he wanted her to pick her up.

Dream automatically took a slight step back, looking at Alana and then glancing at George, unsure of what to do. He didn't pick her up before because he didn't know this kid. He still really didn't know her, but he did know her father.

Her father.

But when he looked at George, he was shocked to see his eyes were teary. He gave Dream a nod, permission to pick her up. The thing was, he wasn't sure he wanted to. Every fibre of Dream's body was telling him to run away.

Dream looked back down at Alana, who still had her arms up expectantly. He hesitantly reached down and pulled her up onto his hip. She grabbed his cheeks and squeezed, making herself laugh.

"Dream." She said again.

"That's me." He swallowed the lump in his throat, adjusting her so he was sure he wouldn't drop her, and blinking rapidly to keep the tears away.

"Daddy's Dream." She said, now wrapping her arms around his neck and letting her head rest against him. Dream froze, and looked at George, who was wiping his eyes.

"Alana." Dream said, swallowing nervously. "You said you were nearly four." He never took his eyes off George.

"Four in two week!" She cheered. "Also! My name is Lana. My favourites call me Lana and the strangers call me Alana."

Dream only heard the first part. Two weeks. He did the math. And it seemed like George knew what he was calculating, because he chewed on his lip as he looked at Dream.

"You were born in October four years ago." Dream swallowed.

"Dream-" George was about to speak but Dream shook his head, lifting Alana up and holding her out for George to take. He did, and Alana looked over at Dream with a pout.

"You are beautiful, Alana. You know that? You look so much like your daddy. He is really lucky to have you." Dream said, not being able to help his own tears forming in his eyes as he looked at the girl in his best-friend's arms. In his ex-boyfriends arms.