XI

Ayano's mind shoves the image of Ni-Ki's hand in Sunoo's a

He will never look at me like that.
He'll never love me the way he loves Sunoo.

Her chest screams with pain, a searing knife tearing through her heart and lungs.

Her legs give out and she falls to her knees, coughing against the tightness that overtakes her, gasping for air. She feels something stuck in her throat, covering her mouth with her hand as she coughs and gags, eyes watering, until she can breathe again. Sunghoon brought her into his apartment as it was closer and Ayano needed help. The male patted her back and ran to the kitchen for water,

When Ayano pulled her hand away, cradled in her palm, white and pristine, chrysanthemum petal. The girl stares down at the petal, tear drops raining over it as a thought hits her. Hanahaki disease, you die, choking on the flowers that eventually bloom in your lungs, suffocating from the blossoms in your throat.

I don't want to die.

She's vaguely aware that she's hyperventilating, vision swimming from the tears, fear ripping through her. Ayano does the only thing she can think of, standing on unsteady legs to walk over to her bag and grab her phone. Sunoo had texted her. Sunghoon helped her sit up properly and took the phone from her. With shaky hands she took the phone from Sunghoon to see that he had helped her to call the boy.

Sunghoon held Ayano close to him as the girl told Sunoo about her condition. Sunoo knew but Ayano decided to keep the part of who was giving her these flowers. The girl called Sunoo to tell him so that they can talk tomorrow instead.

Right now, all Ayano wants is to be held by Ni-Ki, safe and warm in his arms, but that's the whole reason this is happening to her. Ayano hangs up the phone as Sunghoon glares at it. His eyes were turning red but Ayano couldn't see it, he was back hugging her. Ayano noticed sometimes how odd his actions were but only kept quiet, just thinking it's her mind.

That was definitely not it.

Sunghoon closed his eyes, focusing on his thoughts as tears flowed down his face. His tears managed to fall and dampen Ayano's cheeks too. The girl felt it and looked up to see Sunghoon crying. It was just an act to distract her but Ayano didn't need to know that. The tears were cold. "Sunghoon w-why are you crying ?..." Ayano dropped the phone and hugged him.

"It's hard t-to see you like this, Ayano. Even though it's only been a while, I really care for you and just w-want the best for you. L-let's go through this t-together."

The two were lost in the mess of their thoughts as they calmed down a bit. After 30 minutes of crying they decided to just spend some time watching youtube videos on the couch to cheer up. But when they got to the second video Ayano's phone lights up. She glances at it, wondering if it's Sunoo but it's a notification informing Ni-Ki just posted on Instagram.

She looks at Sunghoon, the male nodding and smiling as he clicks on the notification.

They saw a post with three pictures. A selfie of the two of them, with the pose that Ayano loved doing. Second, a picture of Ayano laughing at the two from a conversation with Sunoo. It was from today's events. She didn't even notice when the picture was taken. Last picture, Sunoo smiling warmly at the camera with Ni-Ki's arms wrapped around his waist and his lips on his cheek, the vase of chrysanthemums in the background. Sunghoon scrolls down to read the caption.

[ Thank you to my favorite people! I'm so glad I get to spend the day with you two, to my supportive and lovely best friend, @chinen.a I hope we can spend more time together like we used to and to my first lover @sunsun_k, I love you. ]

Tears didn't come out but Ayano suddenly overcome with sharp pain again, chest constricting as she coughs against the tightness blocking her throat. Her phone ends up on the ground, hands over her mouth as she gags. She doesn't know how long she's been fighting for breath when she's startled by a hand on her back.

Sunghoon's gentle touch, but she can't answer him, still coughing harshly.

.

November, December, January and February passed by very quickly. Their graduation passed very quickly. Ayano decided to spend time with her favourite people that day. Sunoo and Ni-Ki were waiting for Sunghoon and her as they went to hang out. It was a memorable day. Sunoo gave Ayano a box as an advanced birthday gift and also an envelope, asking her to open it at home. Ayano almost bursted into tears. Sunoo was really the most lovable person ever, even loving Ni-Ki, Ayano could never hate him.