Truths untold

"What the hell are you doing here?" I hissed through my clenched teeth.

"Yeah, in this situation you're not allowed to ask that question." He muttered, leading me through the crowd, away from the platform crawling with tourists and commuters. "I'll drive you wherever you want to go."

I shook my head, the anger which his sudden reappearance made me feel fighting with the longing I had felt for him, for his return. A thing I did not want to admit to myself, and even less to him. Turning away to hide the tears which the confused feelings filling my heart brought in my eyes, I stumped away from him.

I crossed the station, a beehive buzzing with frenzied activity, and walked into the relative peace reigning outside, well aware that he was trailing after me. My mind was begging me to run away from him, my heart was imploring me to stop and let him embrace me at the same time.

Surely he had his reasons to say that, and to act in this... strange way, but I could not let it go. Not again. His unwillingness to share his secrets with me was what had driven us apart before. Now that he returned, I wanted to know the truth.

Memory flared, of our first meeting months ago, when he, materializing out of nowhere in the middle of the night as I walked home on my own, saved me from running under a car driven by a drunk man ignoring the pedestrian crossing. For me, it was love at first sight. We went for a drink that night, talking until sunrise about everything and nothing at all, just so that we did not have to part. We met for a coffee the following day, and before I realised what was happening, he was staying over at my place.

I loved him, and he loved me too, I could feel it. But after a while his... secrecy, his disappearing with lame excuses, then coming back without explanations made me build a wall between us. In the end I begged him to leave. My mind forbade me to put my heart into the hands of someone who kept shutting himself from me. Whenever I tried to take a step forward, closer, beyond the impenetrable shield he held between us, I could perceive how he pushed me two steps back, making me feel unworthy of his truths...

The moment we reached a deserted spot outside the station I stopped, and he stood still a few paces from me, observing me.

"Why did you not let me board that train?" I asked, voice shaking with frustration while my eyes filled with tears. I still cared too much about him and he knew it.

Seeing me like that, weak, struggling with myself, he walked closer to me and wrapped me in an embrace. I dissolved in sobs and tears letting him hold me pressed to his chest, as my shaky legs suddenly threatened to give way. And as his lips found mine, the tears stopped being about the missed train. They were about how much I had missed him. About how awesome it felt to have him back.

It felt too good having him at my side. It was as if I was not complete without him, not since the day we first met, since he saved me from that car.

I smiled at him, resolved, even as he opened his mouth to speak. Placing my finger over his lips I said, "I... don't want to know... it doesn't matter."

He sighed, "I wish I could.... but... It is nothing... I love you. Nothing else matters."

He was right. Our love was the only thing that mattered.

I let him take me home, feeling elated, the train ride to the closest seaside town to spend the day off on the beach long forgotten.

It was late at night when I woke up, alone in bed. Following the soft murmur and faint, flickering light of the television, I found him in the sitting room. He patted the place on the sofa next to him, inviting me to join him, and I huddled at his side, my sleep muddled eyes trying to focus, then growing wild with realisation as I followed the headlines of the news he was watching.

A train-- the one I meant to take-- derailed hours ago. Many passengers had been injured in the accident, and there were at least two... who did not survive.

I straightened up and stared into his eyes. First the car. Now this.

"Did you..."

"I did know."

"But... how? Who... are you?"

"You are not allowed to ask that. I'm not allowed to tell you. I love you. If... that is not enough, I'll have to leave again, but I don't think they'll let me come back this time..."

I watched him, speechless, letting his words sink. This was the most difficult moment in my life. I closed my eyes, feeling my curiosity grow, blossom, feeling the questions I was not allowed to ask tickle the tip of my tongue...

And then I felt his arms wrapped tightly around me, his scent filling my nostrils, his breath caressing my earlobe.

"I don't want to lose you..." he murmured, taking my hand in his, and guiding it to his back.

My eyes flashed open as I felt a tiny scar, then another, on his shoulder blades. I closed my eyes again as an image I had never seen filled my mind... An... angel...

I took a breath to ask, 'Is that you?', but he put his fingers on my lips even as I reopened my eyes, staring at him.

"You are not allowed to ask that question..."