Chapter 7

A week later, Lily's back at my parents house with me. I either hold her in my arms all the time or make sure she's only a few feet away from me. Dr. Harold told me to make sure that Lily gets her medication and lot's of rest and eats on time. He told me that if I sensed that anything  was wrong, to immediately come to the hospital.

Throughout the week, I pack all of my stuff and Lily's into boxes so that we can take everything over to Damien's house. I do everything slowly, taking as much time as possible. But still, a week later, I'm ready to leave with Lily. The mover trucks had taken everything over to Damien's house and I couldn't stall any longer. 

I throw on a pair of black tights, a cute simple long sleeved dark blue dress with small floral designs dotted across it, and a pair of black heeled ankle boots. I quickly braid my hair into a double dutch side merged braid and tie it with a hair tie.

I dress Lily into a simple pink dress with a small yellow bow around the waistline. I pull two sections of hair on the side of her head into ponytails. 

I grin at her, watching as she twirls her hair around her finger.

"Mama? Where are we going?" Lily asks, tilting her head.

I smile softly at my daughter, "We're...going to live somewhere else."

Lily claps her hands together, jumping up and down on my bed, "Are we going to move in with Aunt Thalia?" 

I shake my head, "We are going to move in with a man."

Lily frowns, looking puzzled, "A man?"

"Yes," I say with a laugh as she crosses her hands across her chest and huffs.

"What's the man's name?" She asks.

I hesitate. Dad. That's what I want to say. We're moving in with you're dad. But she can't know that.

"Damien. The man's name is Damien," I say.

"Dayen?" Lily asks, struggling to say his name.

"Why don't you ask him what to call him when you see him?" I suggest.

Lily agrees, satisfied with my answer.

Just then, Dad calls my name from downstairs.

"Coming!" I yell back.

I lift Lily up asking, "Ready to go?"

"Go! Go, go, go!" Lily calls.

I grin as I skip down the stairs with Lily. Dad and Mom wait for us by the door. They both kiss Lily on the forehead and hug me.

"Damien's waiting in the car outside," Dad says.

I suck in a shaky breath. I knew Damien was going to pick me and Lily up to take us to his house, just in case something happened when I was driving by myself, but now, it seemed so scary.

"Come to my office tomorrow, okay? We have a little business to talk about," Dad says, kissing my cheek.

I nod and wave goodbye to both of them and step out the door. Damien's waiting outside for me in his car.

Just seeing him wants me to run over and beg for a chance to start our relationship again. But that's not possible. If Lily wasn't here, it might be possible, but Lily is here. And my decision effects her as well.

I forced myself to breathe as I walked to his car and pulled open the back door, buckling Lily into her car seat that Damien and Dad had put into his car the day before. I slid into the seat next to Lily so I could keep an eye on her as she stared at Damien with curiosity. 

"Are you Dayen?" Lily asks as Damien starts the car.

Damien looks at her in the rearview mirror and raises his eyebrows, his eyes filled with amusement.

"Sure," Damien says.

I don't say anything the whole drive to the house, looking out the window and listening as Lily asks Damien a bunch of questions that he answers.

When we get to his mansion-like house, I get out of the car, pulling Lily out with me and balance her on my hip. I follow Damien up to the house and when he opens the door and steps in, leaving the door open for me, I hesitate to step inside.

The familiar feeling of home rushes through me, but I push it away. This place stopped being my home the second I took the step out without looking back.

I step in, fighting the urge of familiarity. The place is just like it looked before. Clean white marble floors, the kitchen to the left, the living room to the right and the staircase right near the kitchen.

"Your guest room is on the second floor, third door," Damien says after an awkward moment.

"I think we need to talk. I'm going to go up to the room and put Lily to sleep. And then we should talk," I say.

Damien nods.

Lily says bye to Damien as I take her up the stairs. When I get to the room, I pause. This was the room that I spent most of my time painting in, because the view was so beautiful outside. It was...my silent place. Where I would go for peace.

I step into the room and find it completely changed. The three windows on the far end of the room are thrown open, letting sunlight stream into the room. The walls are painted silver blue and there's a queen sized bed in the middle of the room with light blue sheets. There's a desk in the corner, right across from the closet, and there's a crystal table that has comfy chairs surrounding it. There's a door that leads to the bathroom.

The place is far different from back when the room used to be filled with paintings and sketches that I'd made and there was never furniture in it. It used to be filled with art supplies. But still, the room brings peace into my mind. I set Lily in her crib next to my bed and sing a soft lullaby until she's fast asleep.

I wait for a few extra seconds and then walk back down to talk to Damien. Steeling myself, I face him from where he's sitting on the couch.

Hopefully, this goes well.