Chapter 14

After lunch, we all sit down on the couch. Lily sits next to me, burrowing into my side and playing with my hair.

"What did you want to talk about?" I ask my parents.

After a long moment, Dad speaks up.

"There is a big meeting coming up. I need you to be there with me," Dad says.

"Sure," I say, shrugging.

Dad winces, "That's not all. We need to go out of town for two weeks. Lily can't come because the place we're going is...dangerous."

I pause at that.

"You want me to...leave Lily alone?" I ask quietly.

Dad nods.

I shake my head, "I can't. She hasn't stayed a single night without me. And with her being poisoned just a week ago, there's no way I'm leaving her alone."

"She won't be alone. Your mother and Valerie can take care of her," Dad says.

"And Damien's coming as well?" I ask.

Dad nods.

"Damien, James, You and I," Dad says.

I shake my head, "Dad. You know I can't do that."

"I really need you there for the meeting," Dad says, his voice pleading.

"I'm not leaving my daughter when her life is at risk, for a meeting," I say.

"Eve, please," Dad begs.

I shake my head and stand up.

"I'm sorry, Dad. You know I would do anything for you. But my daughter always comes first. I'm sorry," I say.

"The company's at risk, Evelyn," Dad says, standing up as well.

My jaw drops and my eyes widen.

"What?" I ask.

"If we don't convince the other companies that we aren't cheating them at the meeting, they'll join as one and destroy us," Dad says.

"Cheating them? What do you mean?" I ask.

"Trix told them that he was working with me and Damien's father to give away the information. He made up fake evidence. They think we sold him out to keep ourselves safe," Dad says, a muscle flickering on her jaw.

"And what will I be able to do if I come? It's nothing you can't do," I say, exasperated.

"Come on, Evelyn. You'll have to be doing this once you take over the company anyway. Why don't you start now?" Dad pleads.

"My daughters life won't be in danger then," I respond.

"We think Trix has something to do with the poisoning. You'll be helping us take him down and save the company," Dad says.

I pause, "You're sure?"

"Yes," Dad says.

"Why didn't you tell me before?" I ask.

Dad rolls his eyes, "We only found evidence yesterday. I figured I'd tell you today."

"And he'll die, if I come to the meeting? He'll never hurt Lily again?" I ask.

"Once we get the company under control, all the other companies will help us take him out so that he doesn't keep complicating our lives," Dad promises.

I sigh through my nose, and glance at where I was sitting a few minutes ago, finding Lily watching the interaction between dad and I with confused eyes.

"Fiiiinnnnnee," I say.