(Updated) Chapter 18- Homecoming

Bắt đầu từ đầu

".....You heard me. You can have her. I'm not interested in such a giant prude."

Tyler drops my hand and charges up to Tanner reignited with rage. "You better shut your mouth Tanner before I have to shut it for you, again. Don't you dare talk about Lila like that!"

Tanner shoves Tyler. That was all it took. The two were in a full on brawl after that. Punches were flying and the two fell to the ground wrestling. Mason and Chase jumped in to break the guys up. The teachers chaperoning the dance rushed over a moment later as the boys were being pulled off each other.

After that, each of us were escorted out of the gym to explain what happened. Tyler, Tanner and I were all put into separate classrooms to tell our versions of what happened to Principal Ford.  Mason and Chase along with our other friends filled in the blanks as witnesses to the teachers while we were away. Principle Ford didn't say much to me when it was my turn to speak. He just said that I wasn't in any trouble and that the boys would both be receiving some disciplinary actions but he didn't elaborate further.

When I was done I walked out into the hallway to find Tyler and the rest of our friends waiting for me. While I was inside Payton somehow convinced the teachers to let us leave on the limo bus instead of calling our parents to pick us up early since we were being dismissed from the dance.  I swear if this girl isn't the president of the United States one day. 

"Come on Lila, I called the driver, he's waiting for us out front." Payton tells me.

I turn to Tyler with guilty eyes, there is so much I want to say to him but we haven't had a chance to speak yet. He has a cut lip and his dress shirt is no longer tucked into his pants. His suit jacket is swung over his right shoulder. Even disheveled he's still looks stupidly handsome.

"Actually Pay, Lila can ride with me....if that's ok with you of course?" Tyler looks to me for approval. "I drove my Jeep, it's parked out back."

"I'd like that...... Payton I'll catch up with you all later if that's ok?"

"Absolutely. Text me." Payton gives me a knowing look and hug before heading out with the others.

Tyler and I walk in silence for a minute. I'm not sure what to say or how to say it. The reality of the last twenty minutes is still sinking in. I'm grateful Tyler defended me and was there to protect me from skeezy Tanner, but I didn't want him to get into a fist fight with him! I hate that he got himself in trouble over me. 

I finally work up the nerve to speak. "Tyler......Let me start with how grateful I am to you for rescuing me from Tanner....." I begin slowly. "But what were you thinking? Why would you do something so stupid like getting into a fight in the middle of the dance?!"

Tyler wastes no time with his answer. "Because Lila! I'm not going to let someone treat you like that! Tanner was way out of line. The way he looked at you tonight or more realistically, the way he always looks at you is unacceptable. I know this wasn't the first time he's made you feel uncomfortable. I know he tried to pull something at weight training the first day of school. Tanner is disgusting and has a bad wrap. I can't stand guys like him. Guys who think they can do or say anything they want to girls without consequence. When I saw him grab you tonight.....I.....I lost my head. Nobody should be allowed to make a girl feel that way, especially not you."

Tyler's face is red, his jaw clenched, his body rigid. We're stopped outside of his Jeep standing right next to each other but it's like he's not here. He's back in that gym reliving what happened all over again. I grab his hands which are in fists and start rubbing my thumbs over them to ease the tension he has coursing through his veins.