Things had grown quite and pleasant after that. He spent most of his time teaching the younger kids, both of their village and the other nearby ones, how to beyblade, much to the elders' displeasure on the latter. He studied at a community school as well as with their Village Chief Taro, and spent the rest of his time with his friends and girlfriend. 

He did miss the Blade-breakers terribly, but he was content with his life as it was then. Due to his village's isolation from the rest of the world, keeping contact with them had been quite difficult and he had only managed to exchange a few letters with them. Three to each of the members. 

He had received three back again from both Max and Kenny. Tyson had replied back twice, after apologizing for procrastinating to write him back the second time to such an extent that Ray had already sent his third letter. He had received no replies from the Phoenix wielder, much to his frustration and worry. So much for being the closest to him. 

*****

With Joseph of the Saint Shields seeking for a bey-battle with him, his departure from the White Tiger Hills had hastened. Surprisingly, both Lee and the elders had been expecting him for this, and as a parting gift from the latter, he had once again been nominated for the next Chieftain. "Grow as high as you can son," Chief Taro had said. "Bring glory to our clan, inspire the world. But do remember your roots. This is where your strength lies, this is where you will end up at the end of it all."

Mariah, the one person whom he thought understood him the most, had not been expecting him to leave again. She had been visibly upset, having taken it as a personal betrayal. When Ray had tried reasoning with her, things had gotten ugly, and if not for Lee stepping in between them, a bey-battle to destruction would have taken place. 

Mariah had thrown away the pendent he had given her and Ray had left deeply upset over the whole drama. He hadn't dared mention about himself and Mariah, as he knew that Max and Tyson would never let him hear the end of it, when there wasn't anything to let go itself. He had honestly thought they were over until she had made her surprise debut to the hospital with them. 

She had immediately apologized. After an heart-to-heart conversation with her at the dojo before coming there, they had mended ties and were ready to start anew. 

"Are you done gazing at my niece, Ray?" Questioned a smirking Aunt Rosa. Mariah had to cover her mouth to control her laugh as Ray's ears turned red in embarrassment. His aunt and Mariah exchanged a high-five as he stuttered, "N-no Aunt Ros-sa.. Just th-inking." He tried taking another bite with his chopsticks, only to discover the bowl was empty. Glad for a change of topic, he asked "Could I get some rice, Aunt Rosa? 

"Of course, dear." said his aunt smiling serenely. He already liked their new champoeneer (feel free to correct the spelling). 

Aunt Rosa, or Miss Rosa Wong to others, was in her early fifties, though she looked quite younger with the lack of wrinkles. Her black hair came just below her shoulders, slightly peppered with grey strands which she did no attempt to hide. She was dressed in a full length skirt and blouse, an apron tied over it,  like she usually does. She smelled of the Marigold and Tulips, after a long day of work at the Floral Studio downstairs. 

She was a long lost relative of both Ray and Mariah. Her parents united the Kon clan to the Wong clan through marriage more than half-a-century ago. They had moved out of the village shortly after, hoping to find new opportunities to grow and start a new life. 

Rosa was born in a small town North of the city Yokohama. She was a child of the modern world from the very beginning. Her parents never tried binding her to the codes of the village, which was a lot sticker then. She was a dual citizenship holder, with both of her parents being Chinese, while she was born in Japan. She completed her studies in Yokohama, obtaining a fashion designing degree at the end. She moved to Tokyo in search of opportunities for her career. Throughout her life, she had been to the white tiger hills only a handful number of times. Yet, she proudly declared that there was no paradise which could outshine it's natural wilderness beauty.