Chapter Four - 'Why are you doing this?'

Erin's POV
I glare as Eric makes me fight Drew. I suppose its easy enough. Drew steps into the ring but Four stops me, grabbing my arm, before I can follow.
"Be careful. Remember, first shot straight to the throat. And watch him. He moves his head left before he punches and right before he kicks. Keep core tension. Use his weight against him." I shake Four off my arm and get into the ring.
"Are you going to cry? I might be easy-" I cut him off with a jab to the throat, before headbutting his nose. I kick his temples, knocking him over. I then jump, kicking his face and balls as I land. I then flip over him and land right behind his head, before beat I him bloody until he's unconscious. Four takes him to the infirmary and my name gets circled as victor. I watch as Al and Will fight. Oh come on. He just regaineed consciousness two hours ago. Eric has it out for us. Al knocks him unconscious with one punch, after Will goaded him. I run to the ring, only to be restrained by Eric.
"Let it go, little sister." He says. I turn around and glare at him as Al carries Will to the infirmary.
"Why are you doing this?" I say, tears down my face.
"You need to learn a lesson, both of you. Initiation isn't easy, Erin." Eric says. I push his arms away from me.
"Go fuck yourself Eric." I spit venomously. "God knows no one else would." I hiss, making the other tributes 'Oooh'. "Get back o fighting!" I snap. Four comes back into the room.
"Erin, can I talk to you? Outside?" He asks. I glare at Eric and nod.
"Sure you can, Four." I reply, smiling. He grins and leads me out of the room. He slams me against the wall before kissing me. I kiss back after a moments shock. I deny him a long time, by pulling away after a few seconds.
"I had to do that, at least once more." I smile, before I spot Jack, he grins at me, before blanking me. I walk over to him, smiling sweetly.
"Jack, remember me?" I ask him.
"You're vaguely familiar." He shrugs.
"If I'm a bad person, you don't like me, well I guess I'll make my own way. Its a circle, a mean cycle, I can't excite you anymore." Jack looks pissed. "Where's your gavel, your jury? What's my offense this time? You're not a judge, but if you're gonna judge me, well sentence me to another life. Don't wanna hear your sad songs, I don't wanna feel your pain. Well I'm sorry its not my fault cause you know we're not the same. No we're not the same. No we're not the same. Yeah we used to stick together, we wrote our names in blood. I guess you can't accept that the change is good. Its good, its gooooood. Well you treat me just like another stranger. Well its nice to meet you sir, I guess I'll go, I best be on my way out. You treat me just like another stranger. Well its nice to meet you sir, I guess I'll go, I best be on my way out. Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend. This is the best thing that could've happened. Any longer and I wouldn't have made it. It's not a war no, it's not a rapture. I'm just a person but you can't take it. The same tricks that, that once fooled me. They won't get you anywhere. I'm not the same kid from your memory. Well now I can fend for myself. Don't wanna hear your sad songs. I don't wanna feel your pain. When you swear it's all my fault. Cause you know we're not the same. We're not the same. Oh we're not the same. Yeah we used to stick together. We wrote our names in blood. But I guess you can't accept that the change is good. It's good. It's goooooood. Well you treat me just like another stranger. Well it's nice to meet you sir. I guess I'll go. I best be on my way out. You treat me just like another stranger. Well it's nice to meet you sir. I guess I'll go. I best be on my way out. Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend. Ignorance is your new best friend. Well you treat me just like another stranger. Well it's nice to meet you sir. I guess I'll go. I best be on my way out. You treat me just like another stranger. Well it's nice to meet you sir. I guess I'll go. I best be on my way out." I sing, pissing him off even more.
"Listen, Erin, I hate you."
"I can't hate you. I've tried, but its not in me to hate people." I say quietly.
"How can you not hate me? I raped you?"
"I don't know." I shrug, before going back to Four, #ConfusingJackIsFun. He looks at me with a raised eyebrow, before kissing my cheek. My breath hitches as his soft lips ghost my cheek and his long fingers brush my hair out one way.
"Do you know how beautiful you are?" He asks in a whisper. Is this Four, captivated by something he knows he can't have? Eric would kill him! But, I would stop him. Eric's hurt enough people to keep me 'safe'. Tobias has saved me so many times. Its not even understandable to me. Even in Abnegation, he got noticed for helping 'someone' (me but they didn't know that) and bravery. What makes him so different? I've asked this question already, but I still don't know the answer. I hope to God its not love.
"I've only ever been told the opposite." I breath as his fingers stay close to my cheek.
"How? How can no one notice your beauty?" He asks in astonishment.
"Well my family and friends tell me I'm pretty, Will told me once that I was the cutest person he's ever seen, but most of the time I get called ugly. Mainly because of my scars." I reply, my voice small like a mouse.
"What scars?" Now he's worried. Eric is going to kill him for sure now.
"I got abused and bullied. Home and school. Eric and Zach were never around, I would always take the blame for what they did to protect them as the only girl. And I got bullied for the scars, only fr them to have created more. That's how I'm so strong, I guess. I got pushed over the limit and now I can't be broken again. I'm strong, I'm flexible, I'm fast, I'm smart, I'm brave, I'm everything they will never be." I say quietly. "Eric's going to kill you." I say.
"Why?"
"Because he could never protect me in the past. He's already made me and a friend knock out Will in order to 'protect me' and he only knows what he's seen, which isn't a lot. And if he finds out you've kissed me twice, and called me beautiful, he will kill you. Especially with all the flirting." I hiss. "I've got to go back there now, but I will talk to you at lunch." I say, before dashing back into the room. "Sorry, he just wanted to talk to me about getting some less fitted clothes." I say, catching Eric's look. "He was trying to protect me. He's pretty nice to me, Eric. Nicer than you've ever been." I add venomously. He looks sad for a second before he ices over and walks over to me.
"In the ring, now." He yells. I raise an eyebrow but do what he says. He then gets in himself. Oh Jesus wept. What has gone on his mind? Everyone looks scared for me, but I'm laughing about it.
"Fight." Peter says. Eric goes for the first hit, I dodge, punching his Adams Apple. He groans as this gives me the advantage. I run up him, wrapping my legs around his neck pushing us down. He yells out as he then punches me repeatedly in the stomach, before standing up, picking me up and throwing me across the ring. I spit out blood as I land on my head. I stand up and he pulls me into a headlock. I stamp on his toe, making him grunt and let go. I then jab his throat, but he grabs my arm and pulls me off balance, before punching my temple. Dark spots fill my vision and the last thing I see is Eric crying and Four running towards me....

Fours POV
I run into the training room and spot Eric punching Erin in the temple. Her eyes begin to close and Eric starts... crying? Was that one of his fears. I run and catch her as she falls to the ground, successfully stopping her head from colliding with the ground.
"What the fuck was that, Eric?" I snap.
"Don't sweat it Four, it was for her own good." Eric shrugs. "And you're next." He spits at me.
"Oh really?" I raise an eyebrow. I pick up Erin quickly and hand her to Peter. "Hurt her you die. Straight to the infirmary, make sure she gets seen." I hiss. He gulps and nods, cradling her head. He leaves and I send Christina after him to make sure he does what I said. I then join Eric on the ring.
"Fight?"Molly says. Eric goes in straight away and I pull him by his arm, snapping it and sending him sprawling. He groans in pain, and everyone gasps as I stamp on the back of his head, knocking him unconscious.
"Everyone, next up is Molly vs Myra." I yell, looking at the board and picking Eric up, carrying him to the infirmary. I hand him to a doctor, and ask where Erin is. I'm told her room, 64, and go to it. Its empty other than Peter and Christina with a nurse.
"She'll be fine Four, just needs to rest." The nurse, Kelly, says.
"Thanks Kelly." I say. "Go tend to Eric." I tell her. She nods, looking down, before leaving the room silently. "You guys get back to fighting. I'll get someone to come down, Max." I say, gesturing for Christina and Peter to leave. They do, with one last look at her, before closing the door. I whip out a phone and call Max, tell him to go down. He obliges and hangs up. I sit with her, my hand tracing hers. Her breath hitches and her eyes open. She sits up, eyes watering and her breath coming in laboured pants. She looks around, sighing in relief as she sees me.
"Did you beat the crap out of him for me?" She croaks. I nod.
"Definitely."
"Why are you doing this? Why me?" She asks, one last tear rolling down her cheek.
"I don't know. But you're different to the others." Her eyes open for a second but go back to normal afterwards. It was the word 'different'. "You're special, you're unique. And I've not met someone like you before." I finish, carefully picking my words. She seems relieved. "You have nightmares."
"Not really dreams. Just flashbacks, that's all." She tries to reassure me, only it doesn't work.
"Flashbacks of what." She doesn't answer straight away, only turns around. Then she pulls her shirt over head, and my breath catches at her scars. They crisscross all over her back, matched by burns and whip marks. Her scars extend over her arms and below her pants. She pulls her shirt back on and turns back to me slowly, smiling sadly.
"Flashbacks-" I cut her off.
"I get it." I say softly.
"You do?" She asks, confused.
"Yeah. The rumours are true." I confess.
"About your father?" She says slowly.
"Yes. He abused me." I say in a small voice. "You can't tell anyone this, you know?" I say, my voice now harsh. She nods.
"I understand. It was both my parents, and only you know about it." She says softly, her hands twitching. Is that a sign of anxiety?
"Good at keeping secrets?" I ask.
"Only ones with consequences." She replies, looking away. I wonder what that means.... Probably she doesn't like lying, and therefore doesn't like keeping secrets but will if necessary.
"Come on, you need to rest." I say abruptly, ending all openness. She looks sad but nods.
"Wake me for dinner." She says, her eyes closing and her breathing falling into a steady pattern. I go back to the reception.
"Tell Morgan to keep an eye on her. She needs walking for dinner, tell her I am busy in a meeting with Max." I order Sophi. She nods, intimidated before I go back to the pit. Why Erin?