Chapter Three: Uprising

Start from the beginning

"What's the situation?" QT asked him without averting her gaze from the screen.

"They're coming in pretty damn quick," Ven let out a deep sigh. "Thanks for caring about me so much, by the way."

"Oh come on," QT grinned. "Out of everyone, I'm worried about you the least."

"Again, thanks for caring," he said sarcastically. "It's not like I'm getting bored out there or anything."

"Just clear our way to the hangers," she ordered as she pressed one last button and a loading window popped up on the screen. "There. Once this finishes, SPEAR's security system and any backups will shut down. I thought a constantly changing algorithm would be difficult to deal with."

"Yes, Ma'am," he said sarcastically and rushed out the door.

Ven was almost surrounded instantly. Men armed with rifles cornered him as if he was prey, but it was already their worst mistake. Barehanded, he rushed at one as they opened fire. The first rifle within his reach was pushed upwards and shot the ceiling as he grabbed one of the soldiers. Rushing forward with a human shield, Ven threw the body at the enemy, causing them to fall to the ground. From the side, a cowering guard shakily fired his handgun, only for Ven to react with a raised fist toward them.

He took a deep sigh, "Look, I really didn't want to hurt you guys, but I had to defend myself somehow." He opened the palm of his hand and held the fired bullet between his fingers as he shifted his gaze toward the trembling man. "You people can fire all the guns you want, but does 'adapting to physical trauma' mean nothing to you dumbasses?" Ven flicked the bullet and it pierced between the eyes of the one who fired it. He took out his earpiece and turned it on, "Coast is clear, Q. This sector is ours for now. Let's hope things are going smoothly down by the Archives."

***

Large vines lined the walls and ceiling of an arched, dimly lit hallway. They appeared to be slowly growing and moving as if they were the tendrils of a parasite.

Squads of soldiers ran through with loud footsteps, but the vines sprung to life and subdued them before they could react. The soldiers couldn't do a single thing as they were clung to the wall and the vines slowly suffocated them to death by wrapping itself around their bodies like a snake squeezing the life out of its prey.

Zero and Gabriella dashed by the barracks of S.P.E.A.R.'s soldiers as they gathered the attention of every armed guard within the vicinity. In a matter of seconds, their path was blocked in front of them and the way back was filled with troops. Cornered, Zero and Gabriella stood back-to-back in the narrow corridor.

"I'll take care of them," she told him. "Once I open a window of opportunity, you take it and don't look back." Gabriella took a deep breath. "I'll catch up."

"Acknowledged," Zero answered as two daggers materialized out of thin air, one in each hand with a tight grip.

Without another word, Gabriella snapped her fingers. The soldiers were extremely cautious with their guns raised and aimed at them. Silence filled the air until the entire facility began to rumble. The armed guards murmured among each other as one carefully stepped forward with a metal collar in hand. They slowly approached Gabriella, who glared down at them as if she was looking at something worth less than trash.

The tremors came to a halt and the troops looked around in wonder, while others kept their sights locked on the pair of living weapons before them.

As one of the troops walked up to her with handcuffs in hand, Gabriella snapped her fingers. One of the walled sections of the narrow hallway abruptly moved and crushed the soldier against the other wall in front of Gabriella. She flipped her hair back behind her shoulder as the sectioned wall retracted back, revealing the crushed, bloody remains of what used to be a human being.