15|| Old and Young

Elizabeth felt sick.

No, perhaps a better word for it was repulsed. Revolted, disgusted. In the realm of things she had expected to discover, the book in her lap was definitely not something she had considered.

She didn't even think that something like this existed. Yet here it was, innocently resting on the tops of her thighs as if its contents weren't something that needed to be burned.

On impulse, she slammed the book shut, unable to look at the pages any longer. She squeezed her eyes shut and rubbed them, groaning in shock.

"What is it, Liza?" Silver asked, fluttering over and landing on the girl's shoulder. Jumbe followed a few seconds after.

Elizabeth opened her mouth to speak, but no sound came out. It was as if the words were stuck to the roof of her mouth. Instead, she shook her head and gestured to the book in her lap, telling her kwamis to take a look for themselves. They were all too happy to do so.

They started at the front of the book. At first, nothing seemed off. Silver and Jumbe were greeted with colorful pictures of kwamis, something expected considering where they were. It was nothing that would create such a reaction from Elizabeth.

As they went deeper into the book, the pictures began to change. Miraculouses began to appear alongside the kwamis with thin painted lines connecting the two together. Then people dressed as magicians were drawn with their hands in the air, magic pulsing from their palms as they created the connection between the jewelry and the immortal creatures.

Silver and Jumbe looked at the picture and the words beside it for a moment before the implication of what it meant hit them.

The magpie's blue eyes widened. "Oh my gosh... this book has documented the process on how to create a miraculous!" she gasped.

"It seems so," Jumbe stated lowly. He turned around to look Elizabeth in the eyes, his voice uncharacteristically shaky. "This is long-lost knowledge, Liza. In the wrong hands, this would be disastrous."

Didn't she know it. Such knowledge would allow anybody who stumbled upon it the ability to create a miraculous army. They would be able to make a whole new Order of Guardians set on protecting the world or create an organization that could take over countries.

If this book contained what Elizabeth suspected it did, anybody who had it would literally hold the fate of the world in their hands.

However, despite that, it wasn't the biggest thing Elizabeth was worried about.

"No wonder you were so worked up about it," Silver exclaimed, "could you imagine what would happen if somebody like Hawkmoth got his hands on this?"

Elizabeth swallowed, clearing her throat before finally saying, "I know. But that's not what bothers me the most about the book."

"What could possibly be more disturbing than the fact that we've stumbled upon the literal holy grail?" Jumbe mumbled, flipping through the pages before suddenly stopping. His orange eyes widened in shock. "Oh. Oh, yeah, that's definitely worse."

"What is it?" Silver demanded, flying over to him and looking down. What greeted her was a picture depicting a mage destroying a miraculous, with the connected kwami crumbling to dust.

Silver gaped.

"It doesn't just talk about the creation of miraculouses," Elizabeth whispered shakily. "It also talks about the destruction of them."

"And from the pictures, it seems that their method destroys the kwami with it," Jumbe finished grimly, a mix of horror and anger painted on his face.