3|| First Day Failures

"Lizzie, wake up honey! It's your first day of school!" The voice of her Grandmother calls as she lightly raps on Elizabeth's door. The blonde inside groans and flips over, burying her face in her pillow.

"I'll be up in a minute," she calls back, her voice muffled but still understandable. She listens to her grandmother's footsteps as she walks away from her door.

Once they fade away, Silver's voice speaks up. "You heard her! Rise and shine Liza! You want to make a good impression on your first day!" Elizabeth feels the magpie kwami begin to jump up and down on the back of her head.

"I'm so tired though," Elizabeth murmurs, "let me sleep for a little longer. I can skip showering if I have to."

"You wouldn't be tired if you hadn't been out flying for so long," Jumbe stated, though not unkindly.

"It wasn't just flying," Elizabeth yawned, finally sitting up, "I was helping people as well."

"And I'm not condoning that," the red scorpion kwami replied calmly, "but you also need to take care of yourself. You need to get a proper amount of sleep so you can do well in school and stay healthy."

"But—" Elizabeth began.

Jumbe cut her off. "I'm not saying that you have to stop your night flights. However, you do need to design some type of sleep schedule so you're not too tired in the mornings. Got it?" Elizabeth nodded, knowing he was right, which seemed to satisfy the kwami. "Good. We'll talk about this again after school. You need to go get ready now. Like Silver said, you don't want to be late on your first day, do you?"

"No you do not!" Silver chirped, answering for the young girl.

Yawning once more, Elizabeth reluctantly flung her covers aside. "Yeah, yeah, okay," she said as she swung her feet over the bed, "I'm up."

Elizabeth immediately heads for the shower despite stating earlier that she didn't need one. She only spends five minutes under the water—just enough time to briefly wash her hair. She then went to her closet to get dressed, choosing to wear simple, comfy clothing. She wore loose tan cargo pants that cinched around her ankles, fastened around her waist with a thick dark brown belt. On her feet were cherry red tennis shoes that matched the color of her short-sleeved T-shirt. Over her shirt she put on a tawny brown leather jacket, which she left unzipped.

Once she was dressed, she came out of her closet and sat down at her vanity. She brushed her semi-wet hair, untangling any knots as gently as possible. She twisted a brown scrunchie around her hair, pulling it back into a ponytail. She then pinned Jumbe's miraculous back in her hair, placing it on the top of her head, underneath her scrunchie, successfully hiding it from view. Once that was done, she fastened Silver's bracelet on her wrist again and checked her appearance once more.

Deciding her appearance was good enough, Elizabeth turned around and searched her room for her kwami's. She found the two carefully packing her school bag for her. She smiled softly at the sight.

 "Thanks guys," she stated as she walked over, "I forgot to do that last night. I definitely would've forgotten this morning as well."

"No problem!" Silver chimed, phasing into the bag. A moment later, she came back out. "I think you have everything!" she declared.

Fully trusting the magpies judgement, Elizabeth slung the messenger bag across her body, not even bothering to check it herself. She then retrieved the black miniature backpack and put it on as well. Her two kwamis looked her over.

"You look ready," Silver commented, looking like a proud parent, "Liza's all grown up now!"

"You've dressed up in my colors," Jumbe noted, surprising Elizabeth, who checked her clothes to see that she was indeed wearing the reds and browns she associated with the scorpion. "I approve," he finished with a nod, making Elizabeth grin.