Chapter 21: ❤️Clollie Was Meant To Be!💚

"I don't think we should do this anymore."

Oliver could only gape at Clark, unable to believe the words that had come out of the brunette's mouth.

"Excuse me?"

"Oliver," Clark said patiently, his mouth in a tight line. "I just think that we should end this, whatever this is. Stop the friends with benefits and maybe just go back to being friends."

"I thought we were doing well, Clark," Oliver said, his heart breaking. "I don't understand."

"It's just not working for me anymore, Oliver." Clark said, shrugging.

"It was working fine for you this morning!" Oliver said, unable to keep the shock out of his voice at the sudden turn of events.

'Yeah, well this morning I hadn't seen you kissing Lois. And what was with Oliver anyway?' Clark honestly thought he would be relieved that Clark was ending it, that way he wouldn't have to tell Clark that he wanted to stop what they had so he could go back to Lois.

What he was not expecting was his shocked response, with something akin to hurt in his brown eyes.

But Clark had already decided the minute Oliver came in that he was going to be the one to end it. He had to present a strong front, even if he was dying inside.

Oliver was more confused than ever, he had to keep fighting though. Because right now, he was on the brink of losing everything.

"Oliver," Clark was saying, "Things change."

"People don't do 180s in a span of a few hours, Clark." Oliver argued. "What's going on with you? Please, tell me."

"Nothing is going on with me." Clark replied coolly. "Oliver, I don't see why you're freaking out, we always knew what we had was temporary."

"Don't I at least get a reason?" Oliver asked, one step short of begging. 'Clark, can't you see how much I love you?'

'Let me go, Ollie, please.' Clark still didn't get why Oliver was trying so hard to hold on.

'Besides, didn't the blonde have Lois now?' Part of him wanted to just ask but he couldn't bring himself to. It was too embarrassing. Even thinking about it brought back the hurt and pain that a few hours alone couldn't cure.

"Oliver, we were friends with benefits." Clark reminded him. "You act like if it was something more, it wasn't."

Each word out of Clark's mouth was a direct stab to his heart.

"You don't mean that." He found himself saying.

"I do." Clark replied, "Ollie, we both know that this is for the best. We're only holding each other back, this way we can both be free."

"I didn't feel held back." Oliver said, his throat tightening.

"Oliver, let's not do this," Clark said, "We should just make a clean break while we can. This was just about the sex. We had some fun times sure, but in the end, the relationship part was just about sex. Nothing more, nothing less."

"I see," Oliver said, "I'm glad to hear where you stand on all of this."

"You've always known where I stood." Clark said, "I've never kept my feelings a secret. You feel the same way, remember?"