Chapter 4: Forgotten Attraction

He had never felt like such a fool. Oliver was miserable as he walked to his car and the ride home felt so much longer than it took to get there. When he entered his penthouse, he headed straight for and sank on the couch.

Lois had moved on . . . and it hurt like hell. His first true love was gone and he had no one to blame but himself. Why hadn't Clark mentioned that Lois had a boyfriend? Oliver shook his head. This wasn't Clark's fault.

Never once in their previous conversations had he asked Clark about Lois and obviously, Clark must've thought Ollie had moved on. If he only knew that it wasn't the case.

'Come on Ollie,' he told himself, 'it's just another woman, get over it.' But it wasn't just another woman. This was Lois Lane. He had dated women who could be easily forgotten and she wasn't one of them. Over the past few months, there had been several functions he had been obligated to attend and he went to each of them with a different beauty on his arm.

But they were all plastic, all fake and by the time they got there, he was already bored. When the night was over, he was more than ready to leave, turning down their invitations to spend the night. All of them were the same and all they cared about was his money, his stature.

'Lois never cared about that stuff,' was the thought he was left with every time he went home alone. She was always so fun to be around, she challenged him and could hold her own. He remembered every time the woman he was with checked her makeup or went to the restroom for the hundredth time to "freshen up".

But he pined alone and quietly, he had no one to share his pain with. Bart, AC and Victor were his team but it was almost a business relationship. They joked together at times and they spent a lot of time with one another but he wouldn't open up with them.

Both his school friends were dead, killed by Duncan's ghost, or projection or whatever that thing was. Even then, he had lost touch with Alden and Geoffrey even before they died. The closest he had come to a real friend recently was . . . Clark.

He couldn't help the smile that crept up on his face when he thought of the brunette. There was something about Clark that just made him want to open up. Beautiful blue-green eyes that pierced him every time he looked his way, as if he could see right through him, into his very soul.

Clark made Oliver want to be a better person. There were several qualities that Clark had that frustrated Oliver to no end but he had too many good ones, which overshadowed his more annoying traits. His mind wandered and he wondered what Clark would think of Oliver's visit to Lois. No doubt Lois would inform him that he had stopped by.

Hopefully, he wouldn't be upset. Sure, he and Clark were friends but he had known Lois longer. If he decided that Oliver had even hurt Lois in the smallest, Oliver knew he would have a very angry Kryptonian on his hands.

Why he cared so much about what Clark thought still puzzled him. He had seen the surprise in Lois's eyes when he mentioned he went to see Clark. She didn't understand the reason that he had gone to see Clark first.

Truth be told, neither did he. The minute he landed in Metropolis, he wanted to go to Smallville. It was crazy, but he wanted, no needed to see Clark again.

But Clark and him were friends, right? It wasn't weird for him to be excited to see him again. Nope, nothing weird about that at all. There wasn't anything strange about him feeling reluctant to leave the barn last night nor was it odd that being around Clark made him feel whole. Or that fluttering in his stomach every time Clark smiled at him . . .