finale

On the edge of the cliff stood a young girl, flashing back to a moment that had happened to her own grandmother many years ago.

On the edge of the cliff was Iris Felicity Black and the cliffs were the little not-so-secret place she had found when she had moved to Alaska at twelve.

Today was Iris' twenty-first birthday. She was now a young woman, although she didn't see herself as one. Whenever Iris looked in the mirror, the reflection of her much younger self, with torn dresses and bruised face would often come back to haunt her. A never-ending cycle despite the years of therapy with her great-uncle. She would never forget her past and she knew that. In spite of that, she still wanted to live, to not be afraid of herself or of the people who hurt her.

Today was Iris' twenty-first birthday. But she would not drink alcohol or lose her virginity.

Instead, she was going to spend her morning on the cliffs, haunted by memories - good and bad.

As always, one of her family members was hidden in the bushes, looking out for her. Ever since Iris had gone to live with the Cullens, her grandfather was always on the edge. And he was right to be, having heard his only grandchild's disturbing thoughts. And ever since Iris had attempted suicide back when she was still a schoolgirl, the family had to be even more careful than her. It had been years since the attempt, but they would never forget the day and neither would Iris.

As a schoolgirl, Iris had been so disturbed by her entire past and her future as a shapeshifter, that she had attempted suicide at that same exact spot. Had no one followed her, had Edward not caught a glimpse of his granddaughter's mind, Iris would have jumped to her own death. Knowing how Jacob had saved Bella's life in the past as she had jumped as well, the mind-reader and the shield had felt their non-beating hearts break.

From that day, a family member would silently accompany Iris, always aware in case she wanted to jump again. None of them could bear to lose her. Not after Renesmee and Jacob had died.

But today Iris wasn't going to jump. Not when she had finally begun to heal.

THE END