4| Mangni

"Mashallah. You look beautiful, meri jaan," Ammi said, as she stared at me and circled the cash around my head to protect me from the evil eye before handing it over to Razia to give it to the needy.

I turned slightly, staring at myself in the mirror in the beautiful lehenga with exquisite detailed hand embroidery. A touch of modernity was given through a skirt with no fuss sleeves which was beautifully paired with a heavily scallop sequin crop top. I clipped my hair along with minimal makeup and had multi layered diamond earrings and the gold kadas as the only jewelry.

"Maami, they're here

"Maami, they're here. Mamu is calling
you downstairs," Razia said to Ammi, poking her head through the slightly ajar door.

"Acha. Chalo mai unke swagat ke liye chalti hu aur Meher aur Razia ko bhej dungi jab tumhe niche aana hoga," Ammi said, passing a smile to me before she along with Razia stepped out of the room.

(*Okay. So, I'll go downstairs to welcome them and will send Meher and Razia when you need to come in the hall.)

I moved to the window, watching at the stairs leading to the entrance of the small hall where only family and close friends were gathering for our mangni. Manik, who had worn white colored sherwani paired with white trousers giving him a rugged look, accompanied Taya Abbu and Tayi Ammi, Mukti Appi, Cabir and Phupho, carrying gifts and baskets along with them. Cabir started dancing as dhol started to play and Mukti Appi and some of my other cousins too joined them, leading them to move on slowly.

Once they reached the top, Abbu hugged Manik as he was about to touch his feet, patting his back and welcomed everyone inside. Once they moved in and I could no longer see them, I moved away from the window.

•◇•◇•◇•

I smiled despite the nervousness as I entered the hall, accompanied by my cousin sisters while light flashed as a photographer moved in front of us, slightly crouched for recording. The age old Kajol and Aamir's song 'Mere haath mai' started to play as Manik stepped down the stairs and forwarded his hand as I reached the staircase leading to a small stage. I placed my hand in his, without moving my gaze upwards not only because of timidness but also because I didn't want to embarrass myself by stepping on my skirt and falling. As we moved towards the seats, all of my cousin brothers were sitting there while the girls stood with me.

"Chal Cabir ab uth jaa aur sab ko uthne de. Mujhe pata hai yeh sab tera hi idea hoga," Akbal Taya Abbu warned Cabir when everyone refused to budge.

(*Come on, Cabir. Get up and let everyone get up. I know it is your idea.)

Cabir shakes his head and says, "Arrey Abbu. Kya aap bhi. Itne bade businessman ho kar bhi meri technique nahi samajh rahe. Yeh log nikah ke waqt bahut paisa fazool karenge bhai se aur ek hi toh mauka hai Bhabhi Jaan se sab wapis lene ka."

(*Come on, Abbu. You're such a big businessman but can't understand my technique. They will take a lot of money from us during marriage. It is the right opportunity to get it back from our sweet sister in law here.)

Taya Abbu shakes his head while everyone laughs before Cabir turns to me and says, "Chale Bhabhi Jaan. Aapko itna pyaara sa bhai," Mukti Appi groaned but Cabir ignored her and continued, "bhola sa bhai saup rahe hai toh shagun toh banta hai."

"Chodo fir. Tum apna pyara sa bhai apne paas rakh lo. Hum chalte hai," Meher, Chachu's daughter who was two years older than me, said, turning me around, and all of the others accompanied.

(*Leave it. Keep your lovely brother to yourself. We'll go.)

Boys started to protest as the elders intervened before they finally got up without receiving anything before Ammi helped me sit beside Manik.

Soon, Shafia Tayi Ammi handed a small box to Manik before he took out a ring. As I presented my left hand, Manik held it lightly and my eyes flickered to Manik, our eyes meeting for a moment before I averted them down again as he held out the diamond ring. It was breathtaking with the pear shaped main diamond while the white gold setting with a hidden halo provided the elegance.

He slid in the ring on my fourth finger, announcing that I was bound to him, making everyone around us hoot and clap while cameras flashed as they captured the moment. I took out Manik's ring, pillowed inside the small box which my mother handed to me. It was an Emerald cut diamond ring with accenting blue sapphires of white gold. I held his hand in my shaky hand, holding my breath as I slid it on his ring finger, again followed by whistles and hooting.

After that, our families exchanged gifts, with me receiving a diamond set, a makeup kit and alot of suits while my family presented Manik with a chain, suits among other things before both of the families showered each other with gifts. I sighed, tired from smiling continuously for photographs as guests continued to come and give us their blessings.

"Can you hold her hand please to show off your rings? And stretch it-" the photographer mumbled, crouching with his camera pressed with his eye, "Just like that."

A click sounded before he straightened, looked at it and nodded before telling us some more weird poses for pictures. The rest of the event went in a blur with everyone dancing and having lunch before we retired to our homes, tired out of our wits.

•◇•◇•◇•

I stared at the new addition on my finger as the diamond sparkled in the darkness, breathing out as the realization dawned on me that soon I'll be someone's wife, despite being already, with the responsiblility to look after his every need. I snapped out of my thoughts as Manik arrived downstairs for dinner and served him in silence since everyone had retired to their rooms as it was quite late and were tired from today's function.

"You had your dinner?" Manik asked, looking at me as I placed the plate with Yellow Dal, bhindi and a roti.

"No. I'll have it along with you," I said and arranged a plate for myself before taking a seat beside him. We had the dinner in silence since Manik didn't like talking while eating before we got up and followed the same routine of Manik checking the front door while I washed the dishes before walking to our rooms.

My breath hitched as Manik held my arm before I could enter my room and turned me around. I looked up, gazing at him in confusion before my cheeks heated slightly as Manik said, "You looked beautiful today."

"So did you," I blurted out idiotically, letting my wits get the best of me. My eyes widened as I realized what I said while Manik's hoarse chuckle resonated around the empty hall.

"Thank you," I murmured, my cheeks warming slightly in embarrassment before a small smile curving on my lips as our eyes met as his thumb grazed my cheek lightly, his adam apple bobbing as he swallowed when his eyes flickered to my lips. My breath deepened, my teeth nibbling my bottom lip in nervousness before releasing as I realized the impact it was having on him as his eyes darkened slightly. I immediately stepped back, not wanting to ignite anything between us before marriage. I think he understood as he stepped back before wishing me a good night and turning around for his room while I moved in mine.

I breathed out as I closed the door, cursing myself and wondering how I'm going to handle him if I can't even breath properly around him.

Thank you for reading. Do let me know your views in comment section and don't forget to vote.