1| Bonded Forever

I stared at the raindrops, wondering if they were the tears shed by the clouds because they knew that they could never meet the ocean. My gaze snapped to the cooker as it whistled before I turned the knob, extinguishing the flame.

I went to the fridge to take out milk before I froze as my mother's frantic voice echoed in the house,"Nandini! Safeeya Bhabhi!"

I snapped out of my thoughts, something falling after me as I ran to my Dadajaan's room, freezing at my mother looking at Dadajaan with tears dripping on her face as he coughed, gasping for breath. I picked up the phone from the bedside table, unshed tears filling my eyes as I dialled the emergency number to the hospital with shaky hands.

Everything turned into a blur as Tayimama and Cabir stepped in the room and a few minutes later, the sirens of an ambulance could be heard as Dadajaan was taken in for treatment.

I blinked my eyes, snapping out as Cabir held out a water bottle for me and realization dawned on me that I was in a waiting room as my back aches due to sitting for hours on the hard chair, while my mother sits on the chair opposite to mine with Tayimama.

I took it, opening the cap and taking small sips, gulping it down my parched throat and handing it over to him before asking,"Did doctors say anything?"

My shoulders slouched as I blinked my eyes when Cabir shook his head. I nodded, my head pressing against the wall as I felt slight pounding in my head, as negative thoughts ran rampant in my mind.

I looked at the door as Tayajaan, Abbu and Chachu entered with frowns marring their forehead in concern. Tayaji went to Tayijaan, while Abbu moved to Ammi and Chachu came to Cabir, asking about the situation and took a seat beside me.

Everyone got up as the doctor entered the room, his expression neutral as he looked around before he said to Tayaji, "He is stable for now. But, he had a heart attack and we don't think he will be able to pull through due to his age. He has a few hours left and would require you saying your goodbyes."

Silence prevailed in the room as the doctor handed over the prescription to Tayaji before he expressed his apology and excused himself. Ammi and Tayimama's cries filled the room while Tayajaan kept his expression intact, but my Abbu and Chachu had tears pricking their eyes.

I wiped away the tears spilling through my eyes, as we moved to the hospital room where he was admitted. As the door opened, Dadajaan opened his heavy lidded eyes, smiling slightly at us, his expression peaceful as if he was ready to leave behind, finally quenching his thirst of uniting with Dadima after two decades of separation. I breathed out a sigh as everyone hugged him before following suit.

He pressed a kiss at the top of my head, his hand soothingly running through my hair before the door opened and the rest of my cousins flooded in, well, except for one. Everyone bid their goodbyes, but Dadajaan continued to stare at the door expectedly.

"I have called him. He is on his way," Tayajaan said, breaking the silence and we all breathed a sigh of relief as our eldest cousin who is, by the way, our Dadajaan's favorite because since his childhood days he had spent countless hours with him.

His eyes flickered around and everyone in turn at him because they couldn't help it. At five feet nine inches with raven hair and toned body, wearing black jeans paired with black shirt with sleeves rolled up till his elbows, showcasing the veins popping on his arms, made him a sight for sore eyes. The beard and the dimples, which occasionally presented themselves, lightened up his dominating aura.