5| Mehendi

Nandini's POV

I smiled as Meher came to me, being cautious to not allow her to spoil the henna on my hands for my wedding, while we clicked a selfie, holding out our henna clad hands in front of us. As she passed by, I looked around as one of the ladies played dhol and one hit the spoon on the wooden instrument while other women sang traditional songs.

We had divided the house in two where we had given the whole bunglow to men while women had the whole garden area to themselves. In the morning, haldi had been performed in the same way and all of them hadn't left a single chance to spare me from applying it. However, now I was extremely tired from today's events and just wanted to lie down on the bed and sleep. However, tomorrow morning was nikkah

Ammi came to me, staring at my henna clad hands and said, "It is beautiful, Mashallah." She flickered her eyes to me and continued, "You need to wake up early tomorrow morning to go to the parlor to get ready for your nikkah. So, now carefully, avoiding seeing Manik's face, go to your room and take rest. Tomorrow is going to be a long day. I'll send Meher in a few minutes to your room to help you change. She is almost done with her mehendi."

I nodded before Ammi helped me get up carefully to prevent the henna from smudging even though most of it had dried by now before I stepped down from the wooden stage. My anklets echoed in the silent hall as I walked towards my room. As I was passing the store room, my yelp resonated as my ankle twisted when someone pulled me by my arm in the dark room.

My heart palpitated in fear as a hand pressed against my mouth while the door shut behind me and my back pressed against it. I released a sigh of relief as my eyes met with his and he stepped back, removing his hand before I whisper yelled, "Zaroon. What is wrong with you?"

"Nandini. I-I didn't had any other way to talk to you when Manik-when he-" Zaroon fumbled on his words as he tried to say something, making me stare at him in confusion. He shook his head, sweating profusely as if in fear as he uttered in a single breath, "I love you, Nandini. I want you to marry me instead of Manik."

I froze on the spot, my breath stucking in my throat as I stared at him, dumbfounded, not knowing how to say that I don't reciprocate his feelings without hurting him. A minute passed before I cleared my throat and truthfully yet gently said, "I'm sorry but I don't feel the same. My nikkah is already fixed with Manik tomorrow morning and although it is unexpected I'm happy because I would like to give our relationship a chan-."

As I spoke every word, my hand fumbled with the lock as I saw his hands fisting in anger. He noticed my fingers and I screamed, turning my head to a side as he trapped me between himself and the door. I raised my arms to push him off, disgust washing over me as he took hold of my wrists and pressed them against the door roughly to cease me from resisting. Tears rolled down my eyes as he moved his face to my hair, inhaling me in and whispered, "Since you're so ready to start your happily after I don't think me having a happy day in between is going to hurt anyone, except you, of course, when I'm going to have my way with this tempting body of yours."

I stilled in his arms for a moment, making him think I have given up resisting and when he loosened his hold, I took him by surprise as I kneed him between his legs, making him pull back with a painful groan while I threw the door open and hurried out of the room. I crashed against someone, my eyes shining with tears, rose, only to be met with Manik's worried ones.

He looked at me again before he watched his expression turning into that of anger, ready to murder him as he looked behind me. But, before he could move, I held him and pleaded, "Please don't. Not today atleast. Tomorrow is our nikkah and instead of celebrating it, people will start making up rumours between me and him."

Despite the rage swirling in him and his best to control himself, Manik nodded his head with a clenched jaw. I shuddered, pulling him with me when he passed Zaroon a smirk, clearly letting him know that he would deal with him later. His hand rested on my back, assuring yet possessive, as he led me the rest of the way to my room. He shut the door behind us and handed me a glass of water as I sat on the edge of the bed. Placing the empty glass on the bedside table, he kneeled before me, taking my hands in his and asked softly, "Did he do something?"

I shook my head furiously, yet explained, "He said he had feelings and wanted me to marry him and when I said that I wanted to give our relationship a try, he lost his shit and tried to force himself on me." My hold on his hand tightened, as if he will leave me and won't believe me and clarified as tears pricked my eyes, "I swear I didn't-he didn't touch me. I'm still the same that I was-"

"Hey. Shh, calm down. I believe you. I was just asking so that I can know how if he hurt you in any way," Manik gently explained, tucking a wisp of hair behind my hair before he wiped my tears while he squeezed my hand reassuringly with another. A knock sounded on my door, startling me, and Manik pulled me closer, making my breath hitch as his lips gently pressed against my forehead in a soft kiss before he got up.

"You have any idea who it might be?" Manik asked, worried because we weren't supposed to see each other before our Nikkah.

"Meher, possibly. To help me," I murmured, clearing my throat.

He nodded, sighing in relief and looked at me as I got up before saying, "Call me if you need anything, alright?" I passed him a grateful smile, albeit it was half hearted, and watched him walking to the door and opening it.

Meher stared between both of us, her eyes narrowed and opened her mouth but closed it immediately when Manik held out a two thousand rupees in front of her. She took it quietly, moving aside and warned, "This shouldn't happen again. But, if it does, next time it will be take one more extra pink note to keep my mouth shut."

Manik stared at her, making her roll her eyes and move aside, letting him step out while I shook my head at her antics.

Laying down on the bed with my henna clad hands colored with Manik's name, I stared at the moon shining brightly in the darkness. Foregoing what transpired in the store room, my thoughts flickered to tomorrow. The day when I will be officially bounded to another. The day when my life will no longer be mine alone as I will leave behind the carefree girl to start the new phase of my life filled with responsibilities.

Thank you for reading! Do share your views about this chapter and don't forget to vote if you liked it.

Are you excited for the next chapter consisting Manan's special day?

And I was thinking of writing a short story with 10-15 chapters, which can be turned into a long one if supported, with Manik as Nandini's baby husband. Would you like me to write on this plot?

Will try updating next chapter by tomorrow or day after. Until then, take care!♥️