Prologue

Hooriya closed the door behind her lightly, not wanting her husband, Akram to wake up since he had been working since three am at night. She stepped to the room adjacent to them, where her twenty one year old daughter, Nandini was sleeping peacefully with her face under the duvet.

Hooriya shook her head, noticed the time and placed her hand on her shoulder and called,"Nandini, wake up."

"Arey Ammi. Where did you go last night? Come on, let's sleep," Nandini mumbled as she pulled her mother and before Hooriya could even comprehend, Nandini was cuddling her like a baby.

"Nandini, meri jaan. You need to grow up. How are you going to handle the household after your Nikkah?" Hooriya said, worry lacing her voice.

"How are me sleeping with my Ammi related to my marriage? And if I want cuddling, I will have my Shohar," Nandini said, laughing as her mother hit her on the shoulder.

"Shaitan! Wake up now. Your Tayimama called me to let me know they will be here by eleven am for Imam Zamin."

"Do I have to marry him? He is so–so possessive," Nandini huffed out, thinking about her overbearing cousin.

"Maharani ki tarah rakhenge woh aapko. Thoda bohot tok denge toh tuffan nahi aa jayega," Hooriya said, as she got up.

Nandini sighed before she got out of the bed while her mother went downstairs to prepare breakfast and make necessary arrangements to welcome her in laws.

After having a shower, she dressed in a simple mulberry colored plain suit with a multi-colored printed dupatta with a golden border. She left her hair flowing past her shoulders before she paired it up with golden juttis and jhumkas. She applied a light colored lipshade and eyeliner before she looked at herself, her thoughts wandering.

Nandini's attire

Since, her father's company, The Butt Industries had started to go into losses, her father had been worried about her and took the decision to marry her so that at least she can live a life without worries about her family's financial conditions

Since, her father's company, The Butt Industries had started to go into losses, her father had been worried about her and took the decision to marry her so that at least she can live a life without worries about her family's financial conditions. Due to this, they had seen several suitors but rejected because of one or another reason. Until, Tayimama Shafia presented her son's hand for Nandini. Manik Malhotra.

Nandini gulped at the thought of him in nervousness not only because he was ten years her senior but also because he had a dominant and possessive aura surrounding him, especially towards her.

Had always been since she had reached her teenage years, as he threatened every boy within her vicinity, cousins alike, to stay away from her if he doesn't want them to face his wrath.

She was afraid of what that meant for her after their Nikkah.

*****

Nandini passed a smile to her Tayimama as she draped a dupatta on top of her head before she handed her Ammi the sweets an gifts. She tied a silk scarf with a gold coin on Nandini's wrist, formally accepting and welcoming her into their family.

Soon, all of them settled on the sofas before Tayimama said,"Shaifa, we would need to settle the date for Nikkah by this week and Rukhsati by next week before Akbal goes through his surgery."

Akbal was her Tau, who urgently needed surgery for his eyes, when he lost his eyesight suddenly. Nandini's parents looked at each other before they said with a smile,"That's okay, Bhabhi."

Tayimama nodded her head, satisfied with the answer before the mangni was set for day after tomorrow and the Nikkah for Sunday, which was five days from now.

Nandini tried to calm her racing heart, which was palpating with nervousness and excitement for the drastic change her life was going to take.

Thank you for reading the prologue!

Don't forget to vote, comment and share if you anticipate the next chapter.