3| Shopping

I sipped the tea, enjoying the early morning sunshine, as it rise along the horizon while relishing the burn it left past my throat and soothed the headache which had formed since last evening when Tayi Ammi had informed us about the wedding rituals by next week and our Nikah and Rukhsati by the end of the month. And ever since the confirmation, everyone, especially the girls, have been eager to go shopping, and had made plans to do so today.

I came out of my thoughts as my Ammi sat beside me with a smile and reciprocated her action before nodding as she asked, "Exam ki tayari hogi?"

(*Are you prepared for your exam?)

She breathed deeply and stared out of the window while I gazed at her as she softly explained, "Hum aapse yeh sab aaj keh rahe hai kyunki jab tayari shuru hogi toh pata hi nahi chalega ki yeh doh hafte kaise beet gaye. Humesha yaad rakhe ki har rishte mai tarbiyat ke saath badlav aa jate hai. Manik se nikkah hone ke karan esse bohot se rishte honge jinme badlav aa jaye. Ho sakta hai ki aaj joh Tayi Ammi aap se itni mohabbat karti hai, wo kal aapke saas hone ke naate aap se kuch umeed rakhi hai aur agar aap un par kayam naa ho paye toh aapke rishte mai khattas aa jaye."

(*I am saying this today because when we will start preparing for wedding we won't realize how these two weeks flew by. Always remember that with change in conditions, a relationship changes too. Because of your wedding with Manik, a lot of relations will change. Your Tayi Ammi, who loves you so much today may have expectations from you as a mother in law, and if you fail to meet them, there may be chances of your relation with her getting strained.)

I looked at her, taking in her words carefully as she cupped my cheek and continued, "Bas ek baat jo hamesha yaad rakhna ki aapko har rishte ko nibhane ki koshish karni padegi lekin jo taluq aapka aur aapke Shohar ka hoga uss ke aage koi rishta bada nahi aur unki khushi humare liye itni hi zaroori hai jitni hamari aapke liye."

(*But, one thing you need to remember is that you have to try to have a good relation with everyone, but nothing should come in between the bond between you and your husband, and his happiness to us matters as much as yours does.)

I nodded my head before she pressed a kiss on my forehead and left me once again, alone with my thoughts about the drastic change my life is going to be in a few days. Looking out of the window as the birds chirped, welcoming a new day with new hopes, I got up to get ready for college.

•◇•◇•◇•

I sighed as sweat trickled down my forehead as Cabir, Manik's younger brother, picked me up from college. Once settled, he started up the car and asked, "Pass hone ke chances hai-" he turned towards me with a mischievous smile before completing, "Bhabhi jaan?"

(*Any chances of passing?)

I glared at him, huffing in irritation as he laughed, enjoying pulling my leg and smacked his arm to stop him. He had been one of the cousins who had been extremely close to me because of an age gap of just two years between us. Once he was done making fun by further embarrassing me by teasing me about his brother and I, he informed me, "Shaifa Chachi ne tumhe sidha market drop karne ko kaha hai kyoki tumari parso mangni ke liye dress aur jewellery kharidna hai aur pehle hi tum college se itni late ho gayi. Baaki sab tumhe thodi der baad join karenge."

(*Shaifa Chachi wants me to drop you at market since you need dresses and jewelry for your engagement day after tomorrow. Everyone else will join you later.)

I nodded even though my stomach was growling in hunger since I didn't have anything since morning.

I stared out of the window as Cabir drove through the over crowded streets of the market, where people didn't know the meaning of a car's honking as they loitered on the roads as if it was earned by their fathers, while the street vendors shouted loudly and women tried to strike a bargain with them.