On the other hand, Illyan was well aware of his surroundings. He heard everything, and as much heartbreaking as it was, he heard her crying every night and every morning,

As much as he wanted to wake up and comfort her, he couldn't. He didn't have the strength to.

He actually liked the state he was currently in, he finally found peace. A peace that he's been craving for.

Soleil brung him peace, but it was only a temporary feeling. Because the minute he's not in her presence that peaceful feeling goes away.

Illyan didn't want to feel that way anymore, all he wanted was to find peace: everlasting peace.

And it was safe to say that he finally found it, even though it took him being injured to actually be in this state. But he didn't regret it not one bit.

He finally felt free, free to do whatever. Free to the point where he didn't have to sleep with one eye open anymore.

His job made him extremely paranoid, and even more when Soleil started coming around more. But he didn't have to worry about that there.

It was him and only him.

He liked it that way, but he also dearly missed Soleil. That's the only flaw this place had.

Soleil made him sane, and kept him out of trouble. If she didn't come in his life when she did, he probably would spend the rest of his day on a hospital bed for a liver failure.

She saved him, and he'll away be grateful for that and for her. Illyan finally found someone that made him feel wanted. He finally found someone that really cared about him, to the point where she even started neglecting herself for him.

At that precise moment, he felt selfish. Selfish for even thinking about staying there, selfish for abandoning her.

Soleil broke her back for him, and all he could think about was that peace he thought he found.

He finally realized that he didn't need peace, all he needed was her because she was his peace.

She always has been.

And always will be.

He stopped fighting the sudden urge of opening his eyes, and let his body react naturally. Once he gained back consciousness, the first thing he heard was her crying.

He mentally frowned, and tried to squeeze her hand the best he could, since he was still weak.

" I-Illyan" she shakily called out once she felt him squeeze her hand. " C-can you hear me? It's me papa" she got up from her previous position to stand closer to him.

He opened one eye and closed it right back, since the light was way to bright for him. After a few minutes, he finally got adjusted to the lighting, and the first thing he saw was Soleil looking at him with tears running down her cheeks.

" Come give me hug princess" he opened his arms the best he could. To finally see her face felt so good, it's been two weeks since he last physically saw her. And not seeing her nor hear her ramble felt weird.