Aru Shah: Master of Monkey-Bars

After a long, tearful conversation with her mother, Aru was finally about to go outside, when she caught sight of her reflection on the reflective table in the lobby. Ugh, there was no way she could meet up with Aiden like this. Her eyes were red from crying, and tear stains streaked down her cheeks.

Oh well, she thought, shrugging to herself. Screw it. She put her hood over her head and tightened it, slumping as she walked to the front door.

Aru swung the door open, and came face-to-face with a startled Aiden, who had his fist raised in the air as if he were about to knock. He quickly recovered, however, and pulled her into a warm hug.

"Hey," she said, her voice raspy and muffled-- from crying and from her face currently being stuffed in Aiden's sweatshirt.

Aiden pulled back and studied her face. He frowned and touched her red cheeks. "Did you cry? What happened?"

She looked away. "I'm fine. I just...had a long conversation with Mom."

Aiden nodded, understanding dawning on his face. He smiled and held out his elbow. "Shall we go?"

Aru grinned and slipped her hand onto his elbow. "We shall," she replied back in a posh, British accent.

They headed down to the park, which was only a few blocks away. There was a playground in the park as well, making it a favorite place for many younger children to go to, during the daytime at least. It looked eerie and abandoned in the darkness. Aiden, who was now holding her hand, dragged her over to the monkey bars.

"Come on!" he urged. He quickly turned Shadowfax into a watch, and climbed up the small, metal platform. He gestured to her to do the same, so she jumped up too and stared at him with a raised eyebrow.

"You wanna have a monkey bar race, Wifey?" There were two different sets of red monkey bars in the small area, making it perfect for having a race.

Aiden grinned and said, "Bring it on!"

Aru smirked and rubbed her palms together in anticipation. It had been a while since she had last been on the monkey bars, but back in elementary school, she had been known for her amazing monkey bar skills. That and for imitating Pumbaa. But that's irrelevant.

Aru cackled. "Oh, you have no idea what you've gotten yourself into."

Ten minutes and multiple blisters later, Aru had remained undefeated. Aiden laid down on the ground, clearly exhausted.

"How?" he asked, for the fifth time. "And why are you so good at this?"

Aru crouched down and patted his shoulder. "Patience you must have, my young Padawan."

"Did you just quote Yoda?"

"Yup."

They both laughed and Aru laid down next to Aiden. He put an arm around her and drew her close to him. They both stared up at the starry sky in silence

"I'm glad," Aiden spoke up, after a couple moments.

She craned her neck around to look at him. "About what?"

He glanced at her. "That you're feeling better. I haven't heard you quote anything in a long time."

Aru sat up and looked at him strangely. "That's how you know if I'm feeling better?"

Aiden pushed himself into a sitting position as well and shrugged. "Most guys know when their girlfriend's feeling better when they start smiling or laughing again. I know when my girlfriend is feeling better when she starts spouting out movie quotes again."

"Hey!" She smacked his arm lightly, but laughed as well.

After their laughter died down, Aiden got a serious glint in his eyes and asked, "But in all seriousness, are you really feeling okay?" He cupped his hand over hers. "You can always talk to me about anything, you know? I'm always here for you."

Aru looked away, but leaned closer to him. It wasn't that she didn't want to tell Aiden...it was just that she didn't know where to start. Her thoughts right now felt like her earbuds, forever tangled and impossible to untangle. "Yeah, I know. But I think I need more time. Sorry," she responded sadly, after a long moment.

"Hey, it's alright. Take your time," Aiden said lightly. He laid back down, pulling her along with him.

"Thanks, Snob."

"Anytime, Troll."

And gradually, they fell asleep together under the star-speckled, night sky.