CHAPTER -30-

HAPPY READING 🥰

Cindy Washington

The evening is going great all the nerves I had about this night flew away as I am really enjoying myself with DeMarcus friends. Merrily is a fun, frank woman and she teases Denzil and DeMarcus all the time. I am laughing, comfortable and smiling like a school girl again.

"Cindy, you have a son right." She asks with a serious tone turning our conversation serious.

My nerves fly back immediately. I wasn't afraid or ashamed of my child but people can be ready to judge without hearing the full story. I look over to DeMarcus and he squeezes my hand reassuringly and nods.

I look back at Merrily and Denzil who had huge smiles on their faces expectantly. "Yes, I do have a son he's twelve years old," I answer.

"I have three children. Two with my children father and one with Denzil here."

"Lovely, how many boys and how many girls." I smile looking at her getting relaxed again.

"Two girls, one boy."

"Aww, precious" she shows me their picture and I show her and Denzil Steph.

"I remember when I was pregnant, all I wanted was a girl. But after they place my son in my arms the notion of a girl disappeared. He's so perfect."

"He really is" say, DeMarcus.

"So you met him, Marcus," ask Denzil.

"Not officially but I've met and talked to him," he gives my hand another reassuring squeeze under the table.

"My son lives with my ex-husband and his wife in New York."

"You don't mind if I ask how does that work."

"No, not at all. We have an excellent co-parenting system." I elaborate a little further and told her of me flying over once a month for a weekend and how we switch in-between holidays and birthdays.

"I don't mean to pry dear but Marcus here is family to us and I don't want him to get hurt he's been through too much already." I smile at DeMarcus.

"It's ok Merrily, I understand completely and I've had my share as well and now that we have found each other we don't have to hurt anymore."

She smiles and raises her glass " well here's to new beginnings."  We all raise our glasses saying "cheers," we say in unison. We continue the drinking, talking and the conversation turns to a lighter side of things again. We joke around about Christmas traditions before wishing each other Merry Christmas. I check my time, I couldn't believe it was 1:00 am. I am having a great time and didn't want to leave. Denzil and Merrily are an incredible company. We dance another round and exchange partners. DeMarcus dance with Merrily while I dance with Denzil who told me to take care of DeMarcus and I was his motivation in rehab. He told me he is happy that DeMarcus found me and can settle down.

I wasn't feeling tired at all, I could dance until day clean but it was Christmas day and we needed to leave and to sleep. DeMarcus place me into the car then get in after we hug and bid goodbye to his friends. They give me a memorable evening and I'm looking forward to their next visit.

"You tired baby," ask DeMarcus as we sit comfortably in his car.

"Not at all, I can dance all night long." He chuckles "nice to see all this energy because you're going to need it, miss Washington." He winks at me and I roll my eyes.

He chuckles and places his hand on my upper tight sending heat to my core. Before he can make me all excited I need to ask.

"DeMarcus" I whisper his name as his driver, drives off. "You ready for me, to introduce you to Steph as my boyfriend."