CHAPTER -15-

HAPPY READING 🥰

Cindy Washington

By the time I get home it is well into the evening I bought takeout because the food we cook Sunday ran out on Thursday and I'm too tired to cook and don't have the time right now to do so. My staff and I worked late Thursday and today to get our numbers back up and now we are at 98 per cent. With a two per cent increase from where we were. Even though I'm happy, I can't say I fully enjoy the comeback because this should've never happened. But with the new system I've put in place, I hope we can be efficient and work can be double or triple checked before going out.

I place my bags and food on the living room table too tired to go up to my room to change. I've finished packing for my trip all I need to do is shower and change. My flight is a 10:30 pm and I plan to leave home at 9:30 pm giving myself an hour to reach the airport and check in before my flight.

I finish eating place Zoriah's dinner in the refrigerator and write a note to her sticking it on the refrigerator. I call her twice and her phone went to voice mail. It is a little strange because she doesn't have a lesson today and she normally gets off work early on a Friday. I try her phone three times more leaving a voice mail and running upstairs for my shower.

After my shower, I get dressed in damaged jeans rolling the hem up my foot to my shin, then putting on a spaghetti strap top. Pulling my grey hoddie over completing a simple I'm too tired to do more look. I grab my purse with all my info and carry-on bag with a few stuff for Steph and his siblings. I don't need much as I have clothes at the house and the weekend ends so quickly with Steph and I mostly staying in and spending time with each other. Even though I'm staying with my parents. I will just grab a few things for my stay.

I went downstairs walk into the kitchen to grab my phone when the door is closing slowly and Zoriah is backing up giggling at whoever is out the door. I fold my arms and made a stern face as she turns around and sees me standing there. "Well well, look who's doing the walk of shame." She almost burst through the door with shock as she jumps holding her chest breathing heavy.

"Huh, what are you doing home. You almost scare my heart out of me."

"Huh...I live here and since I'm late I can't get into it with you right now but you're going to spill this tea every detail when I get back young lady." I point at her giving her my best motherly voice. She giggles "OK, Ok I'm caught but go enjoy Steph we will talk once you're back. I wasn't keeping this from you I just didn't want to jinx it." She shudders "it's too good to be true."

"My, my you're in love, when did all this happen. You've been keeping me in the dark, you naughty girl."

"No, you've been so busy lately and I never felt this way." The smile on her face is priceless.

"Ahh" I made a crying face "my baby we will definitely talk when I'm back" I give her a quick hug, picking my things. "Bye," I say and walk to the door.

"Call me, let me know you've landed safely."

"Sure will." I walk out the door to the cab awaiting me.

Finally, I'm sitting on the plane after standing in the check-in line for more than half an hour. I place my earphones in my ears and lean my head back on the headrest with my travel pillow snug on my neck.

As I hum to the slow jams of killing me softly by Fugees on my phone. I finally let my mind wander off on the one topic that I've been trying to avoid for the longest time. The past has a way of sneaking up and catching you off guard.

DeMarcus Granger, I loved him dearly and wanted to spend my life with him. I was young and dumb to think we could've lasted once he moved away. They say time is supposed to heal you but I don't know how much healing I've done. I hold our memories dearly in my heart and it broke my poor little teenage heart when he stops replying to my messages and his phone calls came less and less. They were such distance between us and we were millions of miles apart that we run out of time. Now we are meeting after all these years and I don't know what to think about it. Worst off he hasn't said one word about it and acts like we are meeting for the very first time.