12. Forging a Sword

"I'm dying," groaned Jack

"I'm dying," groaned Jack. "Gimme more rum, there's a good girl."

"You had almost the entire bottle. You're not getting more tonight. Get back to sleep."

"You want me to die. You hate me. They all hate me."

"I don't hate you." Rose tiredly rubbed her forehead.

"Then give me rum." He coughed weakly.

"Just shush!"

It was the third sleepless night and Jack was really beginning to get on her nerves. Soon after his near-drowning he had caught pneumonia, and had been feverish ever since. The two of them were now alone below deck; nobody else wanted to hear his whining so the others slept outside. He simply was a horrible patient and Rose hated being his designated nurse.

She had just drifted back to sleep when he started again.

"Roose... Roose," he moaned.

"What now?!"

"Need to pee... Get me the bucket."

"You were right," she growled. "I do hate you."

.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.,.

Thankfully Jack steadily got better, and after another couple of days of driving Rose to the verge of madness, he was finally on his feet again, looking no worse for wear except for his still tender ribs.

"Give me the rum." Jack was laying back on the deck, resting his head on his hands. They had returned to Tortuga yesterday, and today Elizabeth and Gibbs had gone to buy the blacksmith items while Rose and Jack guarded the boat.

"Fetch it yourself. I'm tired of being your beck and call." She was leaning against the railing beside his outstretched body, her eyes closed against the evening sun.

"I'm still very weak, you know," he complained.

"Then do without the rum. You drink too much anyway."

"I know."

The concession surprised Rose; she had expected him to object and keep nagging her to bring the bottle. Turning her head to look at him, she found his eyes were on her.

"Thank you for saving my life." He reached out and pressed her hand, looking absolutely serious for the first time since she had met him.

"Well, that came out of nowhere." She stared at him in disbelief. Then, collecting herself, she added: "Don't mention it. You shot that pirate for me before, and saved those foreign sailors – it's what good people do."

"I'm not good." He withdrew his hand. "But you are right. Guess this makes us square." His usual sardonic smile had returned.

Rose sighed, closing her eyes again. She wished Jack would show more of his real self, if that was what she had just glimpsed. She was heartily tired of his drunk-and-ridiculous act.