Chapter Thirty Seven: The House of Greenleaves

"But I am a Half-Elf does that mean I cannot go too?"

Almost ten years had passed since Márafea had birthed Nínimiel. Now she was nearing the end of her second pregnancy. It had been difficult from the start; the sickness had been horrendous and had taken a long time to subside. Once the sickness passed, her belly grew fast and the twins within her moved constantly, as if fighting with one another. Now it was Lithe and Midyears' day was fast approaching. Márafea could barely walk and spent most of her days resting in the cool shade of the Summer Palace. Márafea rested on a daybed and looked out of the window at the midyear sun as it hung over the Green shield mountains. "Girls, stop," she whispered as her heavy belly pulsated. Márafea sighed as she tried to shift her position. "I feel as if there is a war being fought within me Merenthel."

Merenthel smiled, "It will not be long now my Lady Queen, the princesses will soon be in your arms." She plumped up Márafea's cushions and ordered one of the female attendants to bring more water.

Thranduil came into the parlour, "Don't get up, Mime melda, I will sit with you." An attendant placed a chair beside the daybed. Thranduil seated himself and clasped Márafea's hand. "Are they giving you trouble again?" he asked.

Márafea smiled wearily. "I fear we will need two cradles. They are wearing me out with their squabbles."

"That is strange, most twins prefer to sleep together as babes," said Thranduil.

"How was your ride?"

"Very enjoyable, Nínimiel's pony is getting a little small for her. I will soon need to find her a suitable horse. Legolas rode with us for a time, but he seemed distracted. He is off to East Lórien, again and may bring a guest with him upon his return."

"It must be serious then," said Márafea.

"I believe so, any wedding will be in East Lórien, of course, but I do not think he is in any rush. He has again talked of leaving for the south and others have expressed a wish to join him." The female attendant returned with two goblets, handing them to Thranduil and Márafea.

"When do you think he will depart?"

Thranduil took a sip from his goblet. "In a few years of the sun a shouldn't wonder, he wishes to know his sisters before he goes. I shall be sad to see him leave, but also proud, his regency has been the making of him."

Márafea took a sip from her own goblet. "Where is Nínimiel?"

"With Radagast," replied Thranduil coldly.

"That is to be expected, she wishes to learn of the forest and its secrets."

"Can she not learn from her father? I have walked this forest for thousands of years, yet she only listens to your brother."

Márafea smiled, "There are things that even you cannot teach her, Mime Melda,"

------------------------------------

"Why can I not see Nana?" cried Nínimiel.

Iorbes placed an arm around her, "Your mother is very sick, my Lady Princess, after birthing your sisters, she needs to rest and get well. You will see her as soon as she is well enough."

Legolas entered the tree nursery, looking worried. Nínimiel got up and ran to him and he picked her up. "Have you seen Nana? No one will let me see her, is she well?"

Legolas sat her down by the window. "Nana had a hard time birthing your sisters. She has lost a lot of blood. It can happen sometimes with mortal women."